Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 technique09

technique09

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hi

Ive seen many people post long problems on here, and some very nice people taking their time and responding to help them. I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem. Basically, my computer is in a pretty bad state, ive had many viruses, trojans adware and spyware, which ive been trying to remove. It got to a point whereby i thought it was better to simply re-install the operating system.

When i attempt to reinstall the operating system, it gets to the part where you have the C-drive partition, and options to create or delete a partition, at this part my computer has no partition and when i try to create one it justs blue screens...I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue? Thanks

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Are you using recovery disks...or do you have a Microsoft Genuine XP CD?

Louis

#3 technique09

technique09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi Louis

Firstly thank you for your response :thumbsup:, also i apologize in advance for my basic knowledge!
System manufacturer: Dell
Model: I checked system information and its not there...sorry!
I am using a microsoft genuine xp CD

Thanks

Alex

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

Do you mean that there's no partition visible...the hard drive is totally bare, reflecting unallocated space?

What is the blue screen error message, please?

Are you attempting a clean install, in accordance with the following?

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Have you run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive...to eliminate the possibility of a faulty hard drive?

Louis

#5 technique09

technique09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

When i get to the page the following comes up:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartioned space on this computer.

Use UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

(bullet point) To set up windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

(bullet point) To create a partition in the unpartioned space, press C

(bullet point) To delete the selected partition, Press D

Then a box with:

Unknown Disk

(there is no disk in this drive)

and the bottom of the page

ENTER=INSTALL D=DELETE PARTITION F3=QUIT

I press C, nothing happens then after i press another key the following Screen appears:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer
for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode
to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0xF741BCFD, 0xF6FFD800, 0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F741BCFD base at F73F200, DateStamp 3d6dd67f"

Yes i am attempting a clean install. I have not run a diagnostic on the hard drive (i dont even know what that means...sorry)

Thanks for your time

Alex

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

A message such as "unknown disk" indicates that the system cannot read/recognize the hard drive, IMO.

You need to run a diagnostic on the hard drive and determine if it has problems preventing its use. If so, then you may need to replace it.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#7 technique09

technique09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.

Im having difficulty finding out the make and model of my hardrive, i follow the instructions on the link you sent me.
Then i clicked on "disk drives" and 3 options came up "Array", "brother MFC5840CN USB, ScanDisk Cruzer USB Device"
Now i dont think it is brother or scan disk cruzer because they are my printer and USB, so i clicked on array, and in general
it says manufacturer : (standard disk drives), and it just says "the device is working properly under device status" i clicked on details
and it has a drop down menu with "Device instance ld" and IDE\DISKARRAY 1.12_U\4&24BA0&0&0.0.0"

I dont know where to find the make and model....hope im not missing something stupidly obvious, any suggestions as to where i could find
my make and model of hard drive?

Thanks

Alex

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

I usually just open the case and take a look at the hard drive, with the system OFF, since the data reported by Windows can be wrong.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users