Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi Keeps Turning Off?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Merope

Merope

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hello

I am having some serious wireless connectivity issues.

About four days ago, my laptop just suddenly refused to connect to the internet. I took it to the Tech department at my school, and they said it seems to be a virus since so many people were having the problem.

I've ran Dr. Web, which is far superior to what came on my computer (McAfee) and what I purchased (SuperAnti Spyware). It found nothing, which is shocking, because it always finds something...

Then, from googling the issue, I did find one suggestion: I reset the WINSOCK and TCP/IP in the command prompt. I'm still have the issues.

My WiFi switch is always in the on position. It will connect for maybe 30 seconds if I turn it off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. But, after 30 seconds, it turns off again.

It has been a nightmare since my professors post their assignments online, and most of my personal business is handled online.

I feel that I've done all someone of my limited computer knowledge can do. Please help!

Thanks so much in advance!

Oh, I almost forgot; my OS is Windows 7, and the computer is a Dell XPS M1330.

Again, thank you. If I've left out any pertinent information, please let me know!

Edited by Merope, 05 September 2010 - 12:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

You may want to go to your Device Manager and locate your wireless card under network adapters.

Right click it and choose properties, then power management, then un-click allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

You may also have a power saving setting in your computers BIOS that enables putting devices to sleep or suspend mode, disabling those settings prevents devices from being turned off after a set period of time.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Merope

Merope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hey Bruce!

That's one of the self-help methods I forgot to mention that I'd already performed. I unchecked the "allow the computer..." option maybe two days ago?

Can you tell me how to get into my BIOS? I think it involves pressing one of the function keys repeatedly while the computer is starting up, but I'm not sure which.

Thank you for your help!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

Can you tell me how to get into my BIOS? I think it involves pressing one of the function keys repeatedly while the computer is starting up, but I'm not sure which.

The key is usually displayed on the computer screen when the computer first boots up, just before the operating system splash screen displays.

The key is usually F2 or Delete.

However some BIOSes use a combination of keys to enter setup as it is often called. Such as "Press Delete to enter setup."

That should get you into the BIOS setup utility.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users