Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Come Jap And Freedom Break Firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nawin_g

nawin_g

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

hi,

My PC is connected to LAN and we use a proxy for internet access. The admin has a firewall so we cant browse some stuff.
recently i come across this software JAP and FREEDOM and using these to softwares i can browse anything.

for example when i type CHAT in GOOGLE i used to get ACCESS DENIED but now if i run FREEDOM and change my proxy to LOCALHOST:8080 (this is the port that freedom runs on) i am able to successfully get what i want.

i even can use YAHOO MESSENGER and all other chat engines which was earlier disabled.

i was reading few articles about ANONYMIZATION and found that i use a different server or something like that to access a site but what i couldn't understand is first of all how come i am able to send this data to freedom server when my firewall blocks those packets which contain KEYWORDS like chat etc.. because freedom first of all is connected by my proxy server

pleas suggest me some link where i could learn how these anonymization work or more appropriately how these softwares are able to cheat our own firewall (i know few basics but i am looking for some advanced stuff)

hoping you could help me.

PS: if i am vague in specifying my problem please let me know so that i could add few more details if possible. i added this coz i havent got replies for many of my posts and thought i am not specifying my problem correctly.

Edited by nawin_g, 06 November 2005 - 06:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:25 AM

Very simply the software you cited uses a low level encryption system on the data packets sent from your
computer. The company's software/firewall does not block this data as it doesn't recognized any keywords
in that encrypted packet.

Additionally you're sending to a static IP address server to start. Apparently the company's software
doesn't block this IP.

The same procedure in reverse allows the information to return past the company's software and firewall.

This link explains a bit about the anonymization process and "onion routers."

http://www.spirit.com/Network/net1101.html

A search using Google will show similar information from many sources.

Hope this helps you.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 nawin_g

nawin_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:59 AM

thnks a lot that helped. i had also googled and found few intresting topics. thnk u again

just another thing. recently i freedom servers have been blocked in our lan and when used NTLM APS i was able to run freedom again. i think NTLM APS has got nothing to do with encryption but it just makes the server believe its taking with the browser what does this exactlyt mean??

Edited by nawin_g, 08 November 2005 - 05:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users