Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lights and fans won't turn off on shutdown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 acdcrocks91

acdcrocks91

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Here's a strange one: my computer shuts down fine, meaning Windows logs off and turns off the hard drives, peripherals, etc. However, my lights (cold cathode ray) and fans stay on. Holding power for 5 seconds does nothing. In fact, if I unplug the computer and plug it back in, the lights and fans come on instantly as if I'd pressed the power button. The computer is technically in its off state though, because if I press the power button it boots normally.

Not a huge deal...no data loss or anything, but it sucks having to unplug my computer every time I turn it off.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please post the make and model of your computer?

I am not clear as of yet as to whether this is a laptop or desktop computer. If it is a desktop computer, can you also post the make and model number of the PSU as well?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 acdcrocks91

acdcrocks91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

It's a custom built desktop. It's 4 years old but I've been swapping things out as the years go by. The model number of my power supply is psf500s-30

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

any chance you have a powered USB hub hooked up to it ,had one myself one time that power light plugged in the motheboard after shutdown

edit ,just remembered that it also kept a side case fan spinning

Edited by caperjac, 05 September 2010 - 08:31 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Could you please post the make and model number of your motherboard?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 acdcrocks91

acdcrocks91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

My mobo is an old ASUS M2N4-SLI. No USB hub, caperjac, just an external HDD...unplugged that and still have the problem.

I have a feeling my problem lies in my ancient mobo. Anyone else agree?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

I believe this might be your power supply, am I correct? http://www.excaliberpc.com/568687/nspirepc...abSpecification

What OS do you have installed on this computer?

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

I have here a down-loadable pdf version of your motherboard manual. http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...70_m2n4-sli.pdf

Here is your Asus support page set to Windows XP, however if you have Vista, you can change the OS in the drop down menu.

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Allow me some time to check both your PSU and the motherboard manual to come up with a solutions as to why your system does not completely power down.

Bruce.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

I am going to be examining your motherboard as the possible culprit in this post.

I want to point out some possibilities I have found from your motherboard manual.

Therefore I need you to refer to your motherboard book, if you do not have it handy, then download the pdf version I linked you to above.

Please refer to section 3.2.2 POWERING OFF THE COMPUTER

Refer to the mention of setting the suspend or sleep modes when pressing the power button.
This is refering to a setting you have in your BIOS setup utility, it depends on what is choosen in your BIOS as to whether this operation shuts down the computer entirely, or puts it to sleep.

During sleep mode, the fans will still continue to spin.

Please refer to section 4.5 POWER MENU in chapter 4, page 4-32 of the motherboard manual to get a better understanding of this setting.

Please report back if this setting was set to sleep mode.

If it was, please let us know if changing this setting has now allowed your computer to completely power off.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users