Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vi editor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Hi
Trying to learn Unix programming using vi editor. One step I am having trouble with is getting INSERT to come up. Book say when I type"i" I should get INSERT at bottom of the screen and I do not. I am using Ubuntu 10.4. I am just starting out with this.

Thanks, Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Try using "a" its what i use to begin editing a file or creating a new one. If I find that I made a mistake thats when I use "i".

< The Vim commands cheat sheet - 1.2 >

#3 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the link. Looks very helpful.

Doug

#4 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

when you first get into the screen that you want to edit, look in the lower left hand corner and notice the character there. if it changes when you press i, then you should be able to edit. when you're done, watch that character (it usually changes from a hyphen to an I, and then back for me), then push esc. after that i type these to save and quit

:
w
q

but it will look like this, substituting the hyphen and the I with

:wq

always watch those characters in the lower left, they "inform" you of your status, so to speak.

then push enter and the file turns into the regular terminal characters

ed@ed-desktop:~$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users