Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With My Pc! Help!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chituvili

Chituvili

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:51 PM

For some reason my pc keeps turning off by itself. It just restarts by itself and when it gets the the welcom screen it says "your pc has just recovered from a serious error" idk what it is. Someone help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:50 PM

Spontaneous reboots are often caused by a hardware failure. What was the error code given or message.
Exactly as it was given please.
Look in deice manager for problems with your hardware. Check for all fans are running and are clean.
Reseat your memory.

Now there are some viruses and malware can cause this also run your AV and AT programs and a few malware scans.

Post back and let us know how ya get on.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

Please check your Event Viewer for error messages. Go to Start, then to Control Panel, then to Administrative Tools, then to Event Viewer.

In the left hand pane will be 3 categories, highlight each one and check the right hand pane for the error messages - then repeate for each of the other categories.

The exact text of the error message is important. If there's many, look for the one's closest to the time your machine shut itself down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:18 AM

What can you tell us about your PC and video card? (CPU type, RAM capacity, hard drive make and size, graphics card type, what version of Windows, what anti-virus or anti-spyware you have, that sort of thing.)
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:52 PM

Keep it simple. Crack the case and check the fans to see if they are clogged with lent or not working. You should have several fans. CPU fan VIDEO fan and 1 to 6 CASE fans.
Do not use an air compressor. They condense moisture and you could end up spraying your computer with water. Buy air in a can at Walmart, the drug store or the local computer shop.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Chituvili

Chituvili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:21 PM

i have a windows xp home edition
2.70 GHz Intel Celeron Processor
40GB Hard Drive
Combo Drive
48x. Write CD-RW
16x Max. Read Dvd
256 MB DDR SDRAM
Intel Extreme Graphics 3d
I run Norton Anti-Virus/Spyware 2004

i'll try to get the error code when it happens. wich should be soon cus it happens everytime i use it.

#7 Chituvili

Chituvili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

It happened again and this time i got the error code

BCCode:10000050 BCP1:80A947B2 BCP2: 00000001 BCP3:82A190EC

BCP4:00000000 OSVer:5_1_2600 Sp:1_0 Product:768_1

This was what it showed hope someone can help me

#8 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Doing some googleing on this these errors are mostly hardware related and bad memory.
Also outdated antivirus software came into play.

Check device manager and event logs for hardware issues problems.

Try takeing out 1 stick of ram at a time and reboot to see if error occurs. If occurers replace the stick of ram that was left in. Vis a ve the other one. This is assumeing ya have more than 1 stick of ram.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:42 PM

There is a free RAM diagnostic called Memtest86 which you can download from here Memtest86

Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight, unless errors come up right away, and then examine the error count.

If you don't have a floppy drive you can make a bootable CD:

Download the required file (the iso image) from this link Memtest86 on CD.

Inside the zip file is a file named memtest86-3.0.iso

Extract (unzip) that file to a folder on your hard drive. Do not use WinRar to unzip it unless you turn off the 'extract iso files to a folder' option. Winzip or Ultimate Zip are Ok.

Burn the iso file as an image using your CD burn program.

E.g. Using Nero:
In the main interface (titled "Nero Burning ROM" not "Nero Express"), click on File->Open

Browse within Nero to the folder containing memtest86-3.0.iso

Change "Files of type:" to "Image Files [*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue]"

Double-click on memtest86-3.0.iso, make sure "Write" and "Finalize CD" are selected, and burn.

When the CD is burnt put it back in the drive, shutdown the PC and reboot. MemTest86 should start automatically.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 10 November 2005 - 11:50 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Chituvili

Chituvili
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

lol that sounds like a lot but what the hell ill try anything

#11 P4C970

P4C970

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

Hey guys,

just reading through this gave me a bit of Deja Vous! I am experiencing a similar problem, all be it that my computer sometimes just turns off my monitor and speakers then restarts them. Other times it reboots the PC! It tends to occur if I drag or resize an open application on-screen or a folder.

I am getting the impression that this is a graphics related issue, or Ram, as I have tried to check all other components and all seems fine.

It started when I installed a new 400Gb HDD and re-installed windows, so am at a loss, as I am thinking that I've knackered my RAM or graphics somehow, although I have not fully tested my new HDD and that may be the cause.

These are just helpers in trying to get to the bottom of this as I'm guessing we are experiencing the same problem here!

Hope this helps,
P4C970

#12 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

Heat is probably the most common cause of spontaneous shut down, though not the only cause.

But overheating will make the motherboard shut down and it can cause wierd glitches in other computer parts.

Hard drives do put out heat and if your computer was just below the critical temperature and you added a bigger hard drive that could push the environment into the red zone.

There is a program motherboard monitor that can tell you the temperatures in the computer.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

It does not work will all motherboards, but most. It is free and doesn't entail cracking open the computer. Try it and see if it works.

If temperature is too high, then open the computer, make sure it is clean, no dust bunnies, small birds nests, etc. If problem persists it then look at investing in a new fan. They are fairly cheap, even if you get someone else to install it for you.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

BCC 0x50: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_4qsn.htm

Generally, BCC's correspond to STOP errors, so here's a link to the STOP 0x50: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...md_stp_ccgm.asp

The STOP error should be in your Event Viewer (this is enabled by default in XP), unless you've disabled it. You'll have to check the "Properties" of each Error message to locate the correct one.

If Motherboard Monitor doesn't work with your mobo, try this free utility: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Edited by usasma, 17 November 2005 - 08:54 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 P4C970

P4C970

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:06 AM

Hey guys,

Have checked out all these suggestions, now here's the wierd part: I bought a new CPU fan, but it doesn't fix the problem, and neither does using my old one. My system runs about 20oC and CPU at about 50oC. The other thing that gets me is the fact that the errors are not logged! That was my first approach - to check the error log, butt nothings there, and I have enabled everything for logging!

Also, to be more specific - the screen freezes yet the mouse still moves about, it just doesn't do anything, then when the screen turns off then on, anything that I did with the mouse whilst the system froze then gets carried out. Also, I can still type on the keyboard and once the monitor refreshes, anything I typed will appear! I get the impression it is a graphics fault or something on the output side of the system is hanging. What are your views?

Cheers,
P4C970

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

Let's remember this thread still belongs to Chituvili.

While we're waiting for his update P4C970 you need to give us some info about your system (see my sig) particularly about your graphics card, motherboard and RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users