Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brightness Randomly Maxed, Windows Theme Defaulted

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cyan Ducard

Cyan Ducard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:07 AM

Last night, while on Firefox my screen's brightness randomly increased to maximum. I would have assumed that I'd hit some weird shortcut by accident, except that all my windows, as well as the taskbar, had reverted to some default Windows theme at the same time. I had never seen such a theme before, but it was undoubtedly a version of the old Windows default.

Only my wallpaper remained unchanged. I then went to the Control Panel to try and fix everything, but the settings said that there had been no change. I then rebooted, and everything looked normal again.

I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) on my HP Pavilion laptop, which is less than a year old. I am concerned because I've already got a little trouble with the fan, and bad luck with a past computer has made me paranoid. Has anyone else seen or heard of this? Is this a bug? A symptom of malware? Or something I did?

The brightness maxing out randomly hasn't happened to me before, but one time ZoneAlarm did open in a window similar to that default theme- everything else at that time was normal, however.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I hadn't hit any weird hotkey to increase brightness. I wasn't downloading anything at the time, or visiting any suspicious websites. I keep my machine pretty well protected with ZA, Avira, SpybotS&D, and SpywareBlaster, and update them and Windows Update regularly. That said, other than this, my laptop seems to be running fine...so far. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

~CD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I do not want alarm you nor do I want you to put your guard down as well.

Has this weird occurrence only happened once?

I am not clear as to how many times this has happened, it it has been one occurrence and has not repeated its self, then it may have been a fluke event.

If you have been scanning with updated anti-virus and anti-malware programs and they are not detecting anything, then you may be out of the woods with a malware infection.

You also try running MalwareBytes anti-malware at http://www.malwarebytes.org/ download and install the FREE version, update and do a full system scan.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Cyan Ducard

Cyan Ducard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

Sorry I'm so late in posting a response. I sent in my laptop to an HP service center to repair a heatsink fan issue, and it only recently returned. Also I assumed, as you said, that this issue was just a fluke as I installed Malwarebytes which, along with my other anti-mal programs, repeatedly yielded no infections.

However, it's happened again just this night. This is the second time my theme has changed to that weird, bright blue Windows default. I attempted to change it back in the Control Panel, but when I clicked on Themes it brought up a menu seemingly unrelated to themes at all. Then, my screen brightness became darker.

This is the latest in a series of tech-related issues I've recently been plagued with. Would appreciate any help in resolving this.

~CD

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

Well it's been a few days that is okay. If you are still free of bad things that is good.
Like MrBruce1959 and I worry when my computer changes all by itself.
Try this, right click on desk top and go to personalize. I think you will find what you need there. Please keep in mind that because of habit we do things the same way and go to the same web sites there for you could of got a bad thing again. Take a look for 3rd party installed programs that might have the ability to do this. Some don't work well with windows 7.
Are you on the battery or plugged into A/C outlet when this happens? I'm not a laptop person but from memory if on battery and it's low your computer could be going into a save power mode.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Are you video card drivers updated, as well as the rest of the computer.

#6 Cyan Ducard

Cyan Ducard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

As far as I can tell, all my drivers are up to date.

I've looked at Task Manager, CCleaner, and Programs under Control Panel and found nothing suspicious. So far, still no detections from my various anti-malware programs.

Both times this has happened, I was plugged into an outlet. The second time I am absolutely sure I was touching nothing but the touchpad.

~CD

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

Can you perform the following:

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#8 Cyan Ducard

Cyan Ducard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4E5GKU0qh0iJmHi1v4oFPqH

~CD

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Head on over to http://www.amd.com and download the latest driver for your video card.

#10 Cyan Ducard

Cyan Ducard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:22 AM

Apologies; it seems I didn't do a thorough enough job checking my drivers.

I installed Catalyst Control Center from the website, but received this message: "Application Install: install package failure!" in regards to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable. Everything else seems to have installed okay, however.

~CD

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users