Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Hardware Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike19865586

Mike19865586

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:23 AM

Having the problems with desktop computer:
-USB mouse stops responding
-Secondary slave drive sometimes disappears, and does not reappear until computer has been restarted several times
-Access times for many of the programs are slow
-Power supply fan does not turn
-Computer freezes

(Going to backup files to primary HD, in case of catastrophic HD failure)

The computer is quite old. Here's a description:
-Windows XP Professional SP3
-768 MB Mainboard memory
-ATI Radeon 7000 Series video card
-Master\Slave drives (90GB)
-300 Watt PSU
-1.6GHZ Intel P4 Processor Socket 478 (Note: CPU Heatsink bracket has lost a piece, thus it does not securely lock down onto the processor)

(Going to guess that it's going to end up being a faulty psu and of course the heatsink needs to be replaced and thermal paste needs to be reapplied).

Any explanation for the symptoms would be appreciated, thank ahead of time.

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:41 AM

This quote you made above concerns me the most.

-1.6GHZ Intel P4 Processor Socket 478 (Note: CPU Heatsink bracket has lost a piece, thus it does not securely lock down onto the processor)

This will be the major concern you need to correct, however possible.

If the heat sink is not properly taking the heat away from the processor, the processor will start to over heat and exhibit various issues.

Your PSU may be partly at fault, but your first concern should be finding a way to repair the heat sink lock down piece that is missing or broken.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

As MrBruce said it is an overheating problem. Heatsink first but the power supply might need to be replaced as well since an overheating power supply can cause all kinds of weird problems. First thing I would do is take it outside and blast it with a can of compressed air from every angle I can get to it from. This may get the fan spinning again although I wouldn't count on it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users