Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows Firewall good enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smilee

smilee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hi,

I've recently purchased a notebook that uses Windows 7 and I was wondering if the firewall that Windows provides is good enough protection or if I should download free personal firewall programs like ZoneAlarm, Comodo, and etc.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

The Windows Firewall doesn't protected enough because mostly malware get around the firewall.
It's recommend to get one of you mentioned.

ZoneAlarm (Warning about this program: it is uge for your system. I have used it but the machine went very slow so..)
Comodo
Online Armor

Edited by Driesiooo, 05 September 2010 - 02:57 AM.

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

If all you want is a firewall there is nothing wrong with Windows7 firewall.

Comodo firewall has also a HIPS, sandboxing of unknown applications and from the next version, available next week, it also has cloud based scanning with behaviour analysis. That is assuming you don't install the Comodo antivirus as well.

If you want comprehensive protection it will take some beating.
James

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:44 AM

Windows 7 Firewall is similar to Vista but adds a few new features in the firewall and related network-safety areas such as separate configuration settings for private (Home or Work) and public networks.

As with Vista, the basic settings for the Windows 7 firewall are accessed via the Control Panel applet. Unlike Vista, you can also access the advanced settings (including configuration of filtering for outbound connections) through the Control Panel instead of having to create an empty MMC and add a snap-in...

The Vista firewall allows you to choose whether you are on a public or private network. With Windows 7, you have three choices - public network, home network or work network. The two latter options are treated as private networks...With all network types, by default the Windows 7 firewall blocks connections to programs that are not on the list of allowed programs. Windows 7 allows you to configure the settings for each network type separately,...

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?The concern with the Windows firewall was in XP. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XPís firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports. The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.

Since have questions about using a firewall, you may want to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 smilee

smilee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely check out all the articles before I decide whether I should install a third party firewall or not.

Just to clarify... Windows 7 Firewall controls both inbound and outbound traffic?

Thanks

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

Just to clarify... Windows 7 Firewall controls both inbound and outbound traffic?

Yes

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 05 September 2010 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users