Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor sata 150 pci card not detected - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 loser1999

loser1999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi all.

I mounted a Maxtor sata 150 pci card on my computer. The BIOS detects properly both the card and the hard disk (Seagate 1TB ST375033OAS) connected, but when Windows XP loads, I can find the device working properly under Device Manager-SCSI Controllers but not the hard disk connected to this card.

Thanks in advance for help.

Edited by loser1999, 04 September 2010 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Does the hard drive show up under my computer?

Here is all the information I can supply you with for installing this device.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/...ation_guide.pdf

This link has drivers for Windows XP look for the yellow download arrow. http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Hope this helps you.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 loser1999

loser1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Does the hard drive show up under my computer?

Here is all the information I can supply you with for installing this device.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/...ation_guide.pdf

This link has drivers for Windows XP look for the yellow download arrow. http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Hope this helps you.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce, thanks for your prompt reply.
The connected hard driver doesn`t appear under My Computer Hard Disk Drives.
Unfortunately, I`m not able to install the drives suggested in the second link you posted, since when I try to install card for the first time Windows automatically recognizes the new hardware and installs its driver without giving the opportunity to chose the desired ones (in our case those from the floppy disk Seagate suggests to create). Also trying to update manually the PCI card drivers, Windows still keeps the actual one since more updated than the ones in the floppy disk.

Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Roumen

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

This copy and paste is from the installation manual for windows xp.

Existing Windows XP Installation
If you have an existing installation of Windows 2000 or XP on a SATA or Ultra ATA drive that you wish to connect to the SATA/
150 PCI card, DO NOT connect the drive to the card yet. Leave the drive attached to its current controller. You must install the
Windows driver for the SATA/150 PCI Card before connecting your hard drive to the card.
The following section details the installation of SATA/150 PCI Card drivers on a system that has Windows XP
already installed and running.
1. After installing the SATA/150 PCI Card and rebooting your system, Windows XP will detect a Mass Storage
Controller and display the Found New Hardware Wizard. Insert the driver diskette or CD. (If you inserted a
CD, close the language chooser that appears.)
2. In the Found New Hardware Wizard window, select “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and
click Next.
Select “Search for the best driver in these locations,” then select the “Include this location in the search”
checkbox and click the Browse button.
3. Browse to the WinXP folder on the provided driver diskette or CD, then click Next.
4. When the New Hardware Wizard has finished installing the SATA/150 PCI Card driver, click Finish.
5. Perform a normal shutdown and power the system off.
6. Connect the interface and power cables to any hard drives you wish to attach to the card, then restart your
system.
If you are installing a new, unformatted drive, format and partition the drive using the software included with the drive or
download the latest available formatting software from the drive manufacturer’s website. For Maxtor and Quantum drives,
MaxBlast installation software is available for download from www.maxtor.com. Consult the drive installation guide or
manufacturer for more information.
New Windows XP Installation
If your system does not have a floppy drive, you may need to connect a 3.5-inch floppy drive temporarily to install the SATA
driver from a diskette. Windows 2000 and XP Setup typically do not allow browsing to a CD to install drivers.
The following details the installation of the driver while performing a new installation of Windows XP.
1. If you received a driver diskette with this card, continue to the next step. If you received a MaxBlast CD
containing drivers for this card, boot your system to the MaxBlast CD and select the option to create a SATA
PCI card driver diskette. If you downloaded the drivers from www.maxtor.com, copy the drivers onto a
floppy disk.
2. Boot your system from the Windows XP installation CD.
3. When prompted by the Windows installer to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver, press F6.
4. When the Windows XP Setup window is generated, press S to specify an Additional Device(s).
5. Insert the driver diskette into drive A: and press Enter.
6. Choose WinXP Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card from the list that appears on screen, and then press Enter.
7. Press S to use the driver on the floppy disk and then press Enter to continue with installation.
8. The Windows XP Setup screen will appear again saying “Setup will load support for the following mass
storage devices:” The list will include WinXP Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card. If there are any additional devices
to be installed, specify them now then continue to the next step.
9. From the Windows XP Setup screen, press Enter. Setup will now load all the drivers and complete the
Windows XP installation.

Confirm Driver Installation
To confirm that the Windows driver for the card has been properly installed, perform the following steps for
your operating system
Windows XP
1. Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage from the popup menu.
2. Click Device Manager in the menu tree.
3. Click the ‘+’ in front of SCSI Controllers. WinXP Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card should appear.
If the driver has not been installed properly, you may need to reinstall the driver as described in the
previous section.

Check BIOS Message
Power on your system and look for an on-screen BIOS message that refers to the Maxtor SATA/
150 PCI Card. This message indicates that the card has been properly detected by your motherboard. If you do
not see this message, turn off your system and make sure that the card is seated properly in the PCI slot.
The SATA/150 PCI Card is a PCI Plug-n-Play (PnP) device that automatically detects attached hard drives. In most cases, you will
not need to make changes in the motherboard BIOS Setup utility; however, on some newer systems, you may be able to set the
boot order of SATA devices in the motherboard’s BIOS Setup. For more information on BIOS Setup, consult your system manual
or the system manufacturer.

Install Windows Driver
The next step is to install a Windows driver for the card so that it can be properly identified by the operating
system. This kit includes either a floppy disk or a MaxBlast CD containing the drivers for the card. If you do not
have a floppy drive, the latest drivers for the card can be downloaded from the Software Downloads section of
the Maxtor Support website at www.maxtor.com.
The Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card is compatible with Windows 98SE (Second Edition), Windows Me, Windows
2000, and Windows XP. For maximum compatibility, Maxtor recommends updating to the latest Service Pack
from Microsoft at windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Hope you find this information to be helpful.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

Go into "Disk manager" and see if the hard drive is listed. Drives on a controller card sometimes don't show up in hardware manager. If the controller BIOS, and the drive are shown on bootup, you should be good to go once you get your partitions/drive letter assignments/formatting done.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

Are you sure the controller card shows in device manager?

It should be under this category

From the inf for your driver

; ULSATA.INF
; Copyright Tue 05/20/2003 Promise Technology, Inc.
;
[Version]
CatalogFile=ulsata.cat
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=SCSIAdapter
ClassGUID={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=Promise
DriverVer=01/07/2003, 1.00.0050.3

Attached Files

Edited by DaChew, 05 September 2010 - 11:59 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Also:

You can create a new folder on your C drive, name it maxtor then extract the driver files to that location and point device manager to the XP folder to load the drivers if device manager shows an unknown device(the controller)

If the device doesn't show at all I would try another pci slot, there may be an IRQ conflict.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users