Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Young Mane

Young Mane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

Greetings bleepingcomputer,

Earlier today I ran a scan with Hitman Pro. When the scan was done, I noticed on the bottom of the box underneath the scan results said I could scan my computer for registry errors. I thought it was legit (because of hitman pro) and clicked it and ended up on the Uniblue website. I thought it was all good because it said Cnet approved of it and it had a Microsoft Gold logo which I later realized was fake. Anyway I downloaded it like a dummy and let it scan. While it was scanning I did a quick google search and noticed people had problems with it and it was some kind of virus. While it was scanning, I canceled the scan, went to the control panel, and uninstalled the program. I soon scanned my computer with AVG and Malwarebytes and no viruses showed up. I want to know if my computer is corrupt because it seems to be running fine but people said Uniblue can corrupt computers and if it is hiding on my computer. Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cp5l3b&s=7

^

This is the image of how I found the Uniblue website from Hitman Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hello, It is not malware ,but an uneccessary toll. Registry cleaners in OUR opinion do more harm than good.
I'll post remoaval instructions ,just in case.
What was the origianl issue that you needed Hitman for and have you resolved that?

How do I uninstall Registry Booster?

Thank you for contacting Uniblue Systems.
http://www.liutilities.com/support/faq/articles/39/

To uninstall, first please close the program. By default the program is running in the background, in which case you should see the blue wrench icon in the system tray next to the system clock (lower right corner of your screen). Right-click on this icon and choose "Exit Registry Booster".

If you do not see this icon, please press (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) on your keyboard to open Task manager. Go to the "Processes" tab, find and select registrybooster.exe and then click on End Process.

Then follow these steps :

1) Goto Start -> Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs

2) Locate the entry "Uniblue Registry Booster" in the list of installed applications

3) Click once on this entry and then click the button "Remove"

4) When prompted if you want to remove this application click "Yes"

This will remove the product from your computer. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Edited by boopme, 04 September 2010 - 10:09 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Young Mane

Young Mane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

The reason I have Hitman Pro is because I had the google redirect virus on my computer a few months ago and the hitman pro got rid of it for me. I've kept the hitman pro on my computer ever since even though the trial ran out, but it'll still scan. I removed Uniblue from my computer. Is there a chance that it can come back or is still hiding on my computer? Also could it have messed up my computer even though I canceled it in the middle of the scan? I don't want my computer to be corrupt.

Thanks!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hi no there was no harm done, It was uninstalled cleanly so you are good to go.
If you'd like to run a scan and post the log feel freee to do so.

MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.
Before you save it rename it to say zztoy.exe

alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Young Mane

Young Mane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4545

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18943

9/4/2010 11:48:19 PM
mbam-log-2010-09-04 (23-48-19).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 133633
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 52 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

All's good~~ Happy Computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users