Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Video card had gone bad, need suggestions for a new one!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jason S

Jason S

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

I just installed Windows 7 64 bit (from windows XP 32 bit) and have come to find that my 4 year old NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT video card cannot handle the upgrade. Nearly every time I pull up a window I get a screen that looks something like THIS. I have tried my other PCI-E slot and the same thing happens. If i plug my monitor into the other DVI port, it will solve the problem (very) temporarily, but is no good for the long run.

This is a relatively old build so i need some help determining a good fit for a fairly tight budget.
My motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI, so i think i could just get another GeForce 7900 and split the workload between the two, but the extent of my knowledge on SLI doesn't go too far beyond Wikipedia.

All help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

This link will bring you to the 7900GT/GTO video drivers for windows 7 64 Bit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista...hql-driver.html

Hopefully this will clear up your video problems.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Jason S

Jason S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

I probably should have added more detail to this, but i have done extensive testing and I am as close to 110% positive that this is a hardware issue. I have a nearly identical computer with the same GPU running windows 7 64 and when replaced with my video card, i get the same error. I have updated every driver, and have even tried the vista 64 bit driver, still no help.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

If this is indeed a hardware problem and drivers will not fix it, you need a new card. SLI would not help if the problem lies within the hardware itself since two cards are used as one, therefore, the problem would still exist even though you could use the the DVI output from the new card.

Suggestions for new graphics cards:

ASUS EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5/A Radeon HD 5750 1GB - A decent, though lower-end, graphics card for gaming. It will do, but if you have the cash, you may want to consider a better card. $124 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB - This is a mid-range card that will handle most games well. Whether or not you can play them with all of the eye candy turned on is another matter. $154
Palit NE3TS25EFHD02 GeForce GTS 250 E-Green 1GB - If you want to stay in Nvidia land, this will do too. It is, at its core, a 9800 GTX and is, performance wise, sandwiched between the Radeon 5750 and 5770. $124 (Before $35 mail-in rebate)

Make sure you have the necessary power supply for all of these cards, also, if you are using a slimline or HTPC case, they may require special equipment.

3939.png

#5 Jason S

Jason S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Great! And i have picked up video editing and After Effects as a bit of a hobby, i assume this can handle this well (along with 4GB Memory)?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:37 AM

All of those cards will handle After Effects since they support OpenGL. However, make sure you have a good power supply before installing any of those cards, I suggest at least 500 watts. With many rendering programs, they really use system memory quite a bit, so 4GB of RAM should do well too.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users