Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avoiding any problems with an alternate browser, like FireFox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

How should we proceed if we want to download and try a different internet browser? What problems should be watched for and how do we give ourselves a path to return to the NORMAL browser?

Currently here, Internet Explorer version 8 on Windows XP, s.p. 3, and using Norton Internet Security 2010. I go online to the internet wirelessly; I would be interested in trying FireFox internet browser. Do I need to make specific configurations before being able to use FireFox? Do I need to make other resettings and configurations to return to using Internet Explorer? What are all the things to watch for and adjust? Also, in general what about for trying other alternate browsers, such as Chrome?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

Just download and install it, there isn't really going to be any "problems" to watch out for unless you're having some type of config error or malware problem in the original browser. What do you mean by "return to the original browser"? You simply stop using one, and use the other. Simple.

No changes are needed to "use" FireFox, but if you'd like I could give you a few addons to install to make your web browsing faster, no advertisements, and more secure.

Do the same thing if you wanted to try chrome. Depending on how old your PC is, I've seen Chrome perform better on older Windows XP with ~512mb RAM or so than FireFox. Just download and try all the major ones and see what you like the most.

http://www.getfirefox.com/
http://www.google.com/chrome
http://www.opera.com/
http://www.apple.com/safari

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

You can have as many browsers installed, as you want.
Switching from one to the other is as NpaMA said, ".... stop using one, and use the other. Simple."
You can have them all open at the same time, if you want to.
I often browse with 2, or more browsers, at one time.

If you decide to try Firefox, I suggest you use the NoScript addon/extension.
It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content only for trusted domains of your choice.

Another good one, is WOT.
It will warn you of potentially dangerous web sites.

Those 2 will definitely make your browsing experience, much safer.

Some Firefox tutorials can be found here:
Web Browsers
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox

Presently, there are over 2000 addons/extensions, and 415 themes/skins.
Can you say, "Highly customizable?" :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Thanks you two. I really appreciate the response and probably try Firefox today or tomorrow. Maybe others too.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

You're quite welcome, cafejose.
If you have any other questions, just let us know.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

Just clicking on the first download link for version 3.6.8 for Firefox, the "From" text in the download dialog did not show any "mozilla" or "firefox". I then explored the firefox site and found a couple of other hyperlinks for downloading. Each of them showed different "From" text for the location of the download. One of them, just one of them showed "mozilla" in the address. To me this is suspicious. I wish to not download some spoof of the firefox browser. Is it possible someone or someones have attacked the mozilla or firefox website with fake or malicious download files? I really expect to find no more than two download addresses and each should contain either "firefox" or "mozilla" in the address name; otherwise I do not trust the downloadable file.

EDIT:
(Finally found the file listed in filehippo and downloaded this - trusting by faith.)

Edited by cafejose, 05 September 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:14 AM

More Things That Seem Wrong------
The download for google Chrome browser came as a 555 kb setup file, so I downloaded it. When I ran this file, a new download activity started - NOT an installation process, but a download dialog with a different appearance than is normally found when something is downloading. This stuff seems wrong. First, I want to download an installer; THEN I want to run the installer. The attempt to run an installer should not first go through a new download. How do I know I can trust the google chrome file that I first downloaded? How exactly does one download and install Google Chrome Browser?

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:50 AM

Firefox uses mirror sites, for their file downloads.
If you download from here, it's a legitimate download.

Sorry, can't help you with the Chrome issue.
You'll have to wait until someone else to come along, on that one.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:31 AM

Here is a FireFox problem.
I now have FireFox installed. Version 3.6.8. I visited YouTuble and picked a link to a video to play. The displayed video will not play but shows a message that I need to upgrade my adobe flash player in order to view/see/watch the video. I know I already have adobe flash version 10.1, and I can watch YouTube videos through Internet Explorer with no problem. Why does FireFox tell me I do not have the updated adobe flash player? I can not imagine why FireFox thinks a pluggin is required for watching YouTube videos when I already have the pluggin. What can I do, or should I adjust some setting in FireFox? Is something wrong with FireFox?

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

Flash for IE is different from Flash for Firefox. You just have to add Flash through your Firefox addons.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

Few difficulties found but all resolved with new install of FireFox.

The plugin for the adobe flash player for FireFox did not use the exact procedure listed in its webpage instructions, as no setup or installer was downloaded; instead, an adobe download manager was installed, to where I do not know, when I clicked on the webpage's "Download and Install Now" for the flash player; and then installation was interrupted until I both closed the browser AND some other window (forgot what it was called, but TWO separate windows needed to be close - not just the browser).

Bookmarks are tricky in FireFox, but I am figuring out well how to handle them. Selecting a bookmark does not automatically register into FireFox; you must specifically choose to put it in a folder or in the bookmarks bar.

So far, after about 2 or 3 hours of use, it seems Firefox is much like Internet Explorer version 8, but there were a couple of other miner operational differences - mayb comments on them later.

Chrome, I will not take a chance; descriptions I have found or read make it seem too snoopy.

#13 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Chrome, I will not take a chance; descriptions I have found or read make it seem too snoopy.

IMO, Chrome is quicker and as-secure as FireFox for Windows XP PCs. Its worth atleast trying, and what do you mean "too snoopy"? Because it has the same type of installer as things such as flash?

Edit: As a note, I'm a FireFox user. I only pick firefox over Chrome due to the amount of extensions/addons/plugins

Edited by NpaMA, 07 September 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Glad to hear, you're getting things sorted out.
Like any other new application, it's going to take a few days to adjust to it.
Wait till you start going through the addons, and themes. :thumbsup:

Bookmarks are tricky in FireFox, but I am figuring out well how to handle them. Selecting a bookmark does not automatically register into FireFox; you must specifically choose to put it in a folder or in the bookmarks bar.

I prefer it that way.
I don't want a bookmark just dumped into my bookmark folder.
That would make things hard to find, having to sort through 116 folders, and over 1000 bookmarks. :flowers:

I suggest you start creating folders now, before you start getting so many, that they become difficult to organize later.
Bookmarks / Organize Bookmarks... will open your Manager.
There you can Add/Delete folders, and organize your folders/bookmarks.
Organizing folders/bookmarks is just a matter of, drag-and-drop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users