Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting Down On Start Up - Hardware Problem?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Unfortunato

Unfortunato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can maybe offer advice on a problem I'm experiencing. I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, and recently, my system would shut down shortly after the XP logo would appear on the screen (the system would not automatically restart, although automatic restart was enabled in 'start up & recovery' options). This was usually 'fixed' by simply selecting the 'Last Good Configuration' option from the menu which appears on starting the system again. This 'fix' soon stopped working, and I would then have to enter safe mode - in which I would let the machine run for all of two or so minutes - and restart, and let the system boot into normal mode. I'm now at the point where my latest 'fix' isn't working any more, and I can only run the machine in safe mode. For what it's worth, the machine will run for long spells in safe mode, and I've yet to see it fail to start, or shut down, in safe mode (this applies to the hard drive I'd been using for long enough, more about that later!).

My opinion is that this is definitely a hardware issue of some sort, yet one which I can't seem to pin down. I'll explain why. As an experiment, I put an old hard drive into the machine, and ran d-ban from a bootable CD - if I selected any wiping option from the menu, and let d-ban start, the machine would power down. Also, if I tried booting from the UBCD4Win CD, I was able to see the initial menu - but if I selected the 'Launch the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows' option, the machine would again shut down within a minute or two of having selected said option (actual interface did not load).

I'd also installed Win XP on a completely seperate drive in the same machine, and on it's very first start-up after installation... yep, shut down during start-up! The good old 'into safe mode and back out into normal mode' fix worked as was the case with the other drive. On trying another couple of XP installs, I'd then find that the machine would power down at the apparently infamous '34 minutes remaining' stage (google 'XP install crashes 34 minutes'). I was able to access the setupapi log, and on both occasions, the last few lines of the log were exactly the same, as follows:

#-011 Installing section [OHCI.Dev.NT.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\usbport.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03F1&SUBSYS_26021019&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&10".

This may be of no use whatsoever, but I often feel that I'm as well to offer any information that just might prove useful - I'd occasionally notice a strange noise coming from my monitor, which would be fixed by adjusting the screen refresh rate, but this same issue would come and go. I also noticed that during the time I spent tinkering after having installed XP on the newer drive, that sometimes normal mode would only load with the screen set at a lower resolution. Now... all of that said, I've tried another monitor, and the problem persists! I've also tried a different power supply unit (one which I know works in a different machine) with adequate wattage, and that didn't help either.

The other possibility which I think I've managed to eliminate is the CPU - disabling both the shutdown temperature and warning temperature in the BIOS settings didn't make any difference, so I'm guessing that therefore it's not the machine instructing itself to shut down due to possible overheating of the CPU. Could other BIOS settings, or perhaps the fact that I have not updated the BIOS since having bought (around 2 years ago) the motherboard, be the issue? Could it possibly be the motherboard itself - and if so, is there possibly a way, or utility, to test it? I think I'm actually genuinely close to losing my marbles over this one!

Well done if you've got this far and read what was a very long and verbose post!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Possibly also worthy of mention is this: I've just read that "USB Does NOT like to share it's IRQ with another device especially when the user is employing sophisticated USB peripherals. Even though Windows may report NO conflict, if USB is sharing its IRQ with another system peripheral, (i.e. video, sound, SCSI etc.), that is often the source of the problem. (IRQ Holder for PCI Steering is NOT considered another device)"

(source here)

I've noticed in System Properties that 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller' and 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' are both sharing IRQ channel 21 - potential problem?

#3 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

I don't think i can help you on the shutdown at the logo but this link might help you with the 34 minute hang http://techtracer.com/2007/03/12/xp-instal...-minute-hiccup/ I hope that this might get rid of all of you problems if it lets you do the clean install.
Here is a quote from the site on what to do.

Let the XP hang up at 34 minutes remaining for the first time
remove the CD from the CDROM and reboot
Dont enter the CD when the installation asks for it, instead open the DOS prompt (Shift + F10)
goto C:/Windows and type setupapi.log, hit enter
The setupapi.log file opens in a notepad
Scroll to the very last few lines in the file and search for the word “inf”
You will notice that in the last few moments the installation created a file with the extension “.inf” before dying out (in my case it was the faulty modem for which XP created the file mdmcxpt.inf).
It means that the device mentioned in the last few lines is faulty and you have to make the installation skip through it.
Close the notepad and go to the folder C:/windows/inf in command prompt
Browse through the files to find the “.inf” which was related to the faulty device.
Straightaway delete the inf file (eg: del mdmcxpt.inf)
now put in the XP installation CD and Continue the installation

#4 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for replying, TechDude. :flowers:

Funny you should mention that fix, I'd actually found that recently after having googled the '34 minutes remaining XP' mystery! I was then able to continue with the installation using that fix, but the shutdown problem continued. :thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2010 - 05:07 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote of previous post ~ Hamluis.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have to ask you if you know what hardware the .inf file was related to that you skipped over?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

I have to ask you if you know what hardware the .inf file was related to that you skipped over?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce. :thumbsup:

During the installation in which I did skip over a .inf file, I seem to remember it being the cpu.inf file. I should perhaps have remembered to mention this. Before this installation, the usbport.inf file had been the last one listed in the setupapi log from the two previous attempted installations - I found out about the XP install 'skipping file' after that - and it was on the next attempt that the cpu.inf file was the last entry in the setupapi log. I then was able to complete the install by deleting the cpu.inf file.

It's probably also worth mentioning that the very first time I installed XP on the newer drive, the installation went without hitch - until the point at which XP loads for the first time when the install is complete (same behaviour as the drive I'd been using for a while - shutting down as XP logo appears). Also, this was the first time I'd ever had such an issue when installing XP - the older drive, which was obviously the first to suffer from this shutting down issue, had underwent at least a couple of installations without a problem.

This is why I'm thinking that it is some sort of hardware problem - because although I've used this 'skipping' fix during the installation on the newer drive, both drives are behaving in exactly the same way when attempting to boot into normal mode.

Edited by Unfortunato, 04 September 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

You could lighten the load, by removing some un-needed hardware to see if the install process will work flawlessly.

I need to ask just for the sake of it, the condition of your processor.

How long ago did you last add thermal grease to the processor and heat sink?

Can you double check the heat sink to assure that it is properly seated on the processor?

If you have any other hardware installed besides the video card, memory, hard drive and optical drive, (to which your XP installation disk is in) uninstall it for now and try the installation process again.

If you can enter the BIOS setup utility at all, I suggest you enter the BIOS and try loading fail-safe defaults.

Some BIOS menus have various default settings, so you have to choose what-ever settings are in yours.

Let me know if anything I have suggested works.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

You could lighten the load, by removing some un-needed hardware to see if the install process will work flawlessly.

I need to ask just for the sake of it, the condition of your processor.

How long ago did you last add thermal grease to the processor and heat sink?

Can you double check the heat sink to assure that it is properly seated on the processor?

If you have any other hardware installed besides the video card, memory, hard drive and optical drive, (to which your XP installation disk is in) uninstall it for now and try the installation process again.

If you can enter the BIOS setup utility at all, I suggest you enter the BIOS and try loading fail-safe defaults.

Some BIOS menus have various default settings, so you have to choose what-ever settings are in yours.

Let me know if anything I have suggested works.

Bruce.

Hi again Bruce.

During each of the installation attempts, I did indeed remove all unnecessary hardware - only the monitor, mouse, keyboard, HDD and DVD Drive from which the Windows CD was being read were connected.

A few weeks ago, I had given the machine a good clean out - I had removed both the heatsink and processor, and cleaned them. I applied some OCZ Freeze thermal compound before reseating the heatsink on top of the processor. It wasn't long after this that I had removed the heatsink and CPU again - I could see that the compound had spread and 'flattened' evenly over both parts, so from this I'm assuming that the heatsink is indeed seated properly on the processor.

As far as BIOS settings are concerned, the only tinkering I have done is to... yes, you've guessed it... load the fail-safe defaults! So I'm still at a loss.

What I'll do in the meantime is format the newer drive again, try an install, and have a look at the latest setupapi log.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

What I'll do in the meantime is format the newer drive again, try an install, and have a look at the latest setupapi log.

I'll watch for your next reply with the results.

Bruce.

#10 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

I'll watch for your next reply with the results.

Bruce.

Thought I'd try booting from the newer drive first. Lately, I've not even had it connected to the machine - the last few times I've had it connected, the usual problems were apparent - but within the last half hour or so, it has booted into normal mode at the first attempt. Very unusual! Device manager only flags 'Other Devices', which from the values listed, I can determine to be the processor. I'm guessing that's because I skipped the cpu.inf file, of course.

Here's a screenshot of CPUID. Only app running is CPUID itself, and my browser.
(ST3250318AS is the newer drive on which CPUID is running right now)

Posted Image

64/65 Celsius - slightly high? Even then, as mentioned before, the warning/shut-off temperatures are (by default) disabled in BIOS, so I'm in doubt as to whether this could be an issue.

If you'd still be interested to see what the setupapi log throws up after another install, then I'll give that a shot next!

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

your core tempatures could do with being brought down a bit.

Can you please post your computer's make and model number?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#12 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:52 AM

your core tempatures could do with being brought down a bit.

Can you please post your computer's make and model number?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

It's a self built machine, Bruce.

Specs:
MOTHERBOARD - Geforce6100SM-M
BIOS Version/Date - Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 31/05/2007
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800 2.4GHz
RAM - 1Gb DDR2 PC6400

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for your quick reply.

I believe this link below may be to your motherboards support page.

Is your computer an ECS brand? You'll know once you check this link below.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/P...=24&LanID=9

Kind regards.

Bruce.

#14 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for your quick reply.

I believe this link below may be to your motherboards support page.

Is your computer an ECS brand? You'll know once you check this link below.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/P...=24&LanID=9

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Yes, that's definitely my motherboard.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

There is a lot of information about your computer at that link, such as drivers and an owners manual that explains the computers hardware setup and the BIOS settings.

You could enter your BIOS setup utility and see if choosing Load Fail-Safe Defaults resolves any issues.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users