Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Us Dvd Burner/player Used In Germany

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jupiter

jupiter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

I'm in the process of buying a laptop for my son who is enrolled in a university in Germany. The laptop I'm pricing is with Dell here in the US. It has a DVD burner/player in it and since, as I understand it, the codecs or codec requirements (or whatever the standards are called) are different in Germany than they are here, I am trying to find out what needs to be done in order for the unit to be used there. I have heard several possible senerios but I don't know which is true. I've heard the DVD unit can be changed back and forth a limited number of times through the setup program it comes bundled with. I've heard that these units are compatible with either the US version or the German version of codec software, whichever is installed (or even if both are installed). I've heard it won't work no matter what you do, and good luck finding an internal unit in Germany that will fit a laptop from the US market. If anyone has any info that could be of help in this matter, please reply. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

That's a good question jupiter. :thumbsup:

I found this info which may help you:

Early DVD-ROM drives were code-free, but those sold after January 1, 2000 are set to a specific code, depending on where they are sold, and will only allow a limited number of code changes. The newer DVD drives only allow that to be done five times. After the fifth change, the drive is permanently set in the code that was last selected. (See our detailed how-to guide on exactly how to switch the codes, if your computer's DVD drive doesn't do that easily.)

Note: Changing the code setting on a DVD-ROM drive is not only possible, but also perfectly legal. Newer computers make this easy, but for older models we offer a how-to guide to switching DVD code settings.

NOTE: Newer computers (2003 or later) with DVD drives usually detect the region code automatically and ask if you want to switch the code setting. But you still only have five times before the last code change becomes permanent (no more changes allowed)!

The guide referred to is here.

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users