Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Both Fax And Dsl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

Since I cannot FAX while on DSL I want to know if my FAX modem which is still installed but not wired to the phone can be used at the same time I want to use my DSL abilities. I understand that I have protection thru Spybot S&D and Microsoft's Anti-Beta and some of the other anti's I use...but are they going to work for both DSL and Dial/Fax-modem at the same time?

I pulled the phone wire out of the dial modem when I went to DSL but the driver is still there and I can easily install the phone wire again with the DSL filter in line. My ISP does not allow me to use the dial-up connection while I am contracted to use DSL, so I thought faxing would be a good way to send legally signed documents.

Will I run the risk of getting a dialer on my modem while I am using the DSL side and can't see any fax/phone activity like I can on my DSL modem lights or would my security programs watch for that at the same time?
Joe Vreeland (aka: SurferJoe46)

Warum soll Ich mir Sorgen machen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theantidote

theantidote

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:15 PM

Yes you can use the fax modem at the same time as your ethernet card on your computer, and you can also fax on the same line as your DSL comes in. Fax runs on the same frequency as voice, so you can't talk on the phone and fax at the same time but you can use the DSL and fax at the same time. It's the same as calling someone on the same phoneline as the DSL, it works fine. Another option is to use a service such as eFax: http://www.efax.com

Edited by theantidote, 06 November 2005 - 01:16 PM.

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:06 PM

Actually the Langa list just had a thing on fax and dsl. This may be of some help

"Fax is a kind of machine-to-machine telephone call using analog signals over voice-phone lines; DSL is a kind of digital data network, unsuited for analog signals. But some DSL setups have a voice option (eg a place where you can plug in a standard telephone). In those setups, you may be able to plug a fax modem into that socket, and dial out normally. Or, if you can reach any other standard phone socket in your house from your PC, you can plug the fax modem there: You'll surf via the DSL (or cable) connection; but fax over your normal phone lines.

If you don't have a fax modem; they're incredibly cheap; often under $10:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=fax+mo...ab=wf&scoring=p

If that won't work for whatever reason, there are many web-based services that let you send faxes: These services accept your text or scanned photos or whatnot via the internet, handle the conversion to a fax image at their end, and then send the fax via their phone lines. There's usually a fee for this. Other services perform a second conversion, and send the fax as an email to your recipient; or store the fax on their system for the recipient to retrieve via their web browser. Some of these services are free, at least for low-volume faxing."

For more info on Langa List go to: http://www.langa.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users