Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google searches redirected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeromex

Jeromex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hi - Have had this problem intermittently for some time.
Was trying to fix it by running Malwarebytes (among others) when got error message saying that it could not update.
Went to their very good help site and was then taken through using a whole list of tools to find the problem.
These included:
GMER,
ATF-cleaner,
avenger,
combofix,
DrWeb,
Fixwareout,
Hitmanpro3.5,OTL,
Sar_15_sfx,
spywareBlaster,
superantispyware,
tdsskiller and
viprerrescue6806

Some of them showed a couple of infections that were cleared but nothing very much. I don't know if it makes a difference but the guy assissting me was presumably looking for things that would block malwarebytes rathere than anything relevant to the google redirect although we did not discuss it as his task was to sort the update problem.

That was finally solved with this tool
http://tools.malwarebytes.org/traceroute_m...rebytes_cdn.exe

Which showed that the request to go the the malwarebytes site for an upgrade was being blocked somewhere in my linksys router. When I disconnected it and went through my modem directly the updating worked.
Curiously when I reconnected to the router and ran the update again it also worked but when I ran the traceroute programe it showed that it was being blocked.

Anyway situation is that my machine has been scoured by at least a dozen logging programs and spyware hunters - I have all the logs if they are of any use - but I still have this annoying redirecting.

It looks like it only affects google, doesn't seem to happen with bing and if I close the redirect tab before it opens properly the site I am looking for is usually there. Also if I copy the address of the site I am trying to reach from google that seems to work ok. So it is not a very serious problem but it would be good to get rid of it.

Also would be good to know if something is lurking in the router - maybe they are one and the same?

One other point. Some of the scans take a remarkable time to run - GMER took about 5 hours and an online one - Panda _ took 13 hours and only got to 70%. Is this common? I only have 150 gigs of storage in all - 66 of that is on the C drive, 27 is on a partition that has a few big programs like encyclopaedias but mostly stored
pictures and music, and a usb drive of 46 which is used for backups. What happens if you have video files or lots of movies?
Anyway point is that it would be good to be warned so can run scans at night or when I know machine won't be needed for hours.

Thanks

Jerome (Burne)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Did you receive that assistance on a forum? If so, please provide the link to that topic in a reply to this one, and I shall then merge it to your post above and remove my reply so your topic won't get lost.

Orange Blossom fruits_cherry.gif
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Jeromex

Jeromex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(Orange Blossom @ Sep 5 2010, 04:40 AM) View Post
Did you receive that assistance on a forum? If so, please provide the link to that topic in a reply to this one, and I shall then merge it to your post above and remove my reply so your topic won't get lost.

Assistance was via emails I can send a fairly long email with most of the exchanges if that would be useful.

BTW I thought I had ticked various boxes in my settings saying I wanted emails sent to me when there was a reply but never got anything - what do I need to be alerted?
Regards

Jerome

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Hello,

Yes, please do include those exchanges. It will be very helpful to the team for them to see exactly what was going on, and the verbal exchanges are as important as the logs. Please post in chronological order from oldest to newest clearly indicating what belongs with which exchange. Again, once you have posted that information, I'll merge it to your initial post above and remove my replies so your topic won't get lost.

In regard to your other question: The e-mail notification system is unreliable; there have been times when I get no notification, get notification long after I've read the post (up to several days even), or get multiple notifications for the same post. And that is with immediate notification selected. The other options are even less reliable. Your best bet is to check your topic once a day for a response.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now closed. In case you still need help, please start a new topic.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users