Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing HD or malware? PC slow to start up for 30 min to 1 hour.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 ^QT^

^QT^

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thanks to all who help on this forum!

Nearly one year ago, MSN Messenger stopped working for me (I think the latest version install resulted in a non-functional Messenger). Then IE7 would hang and prevent me from doing anything on the PC. I switched to Firefox--seemed fine. Then two things began happening recently (1) Firefox was really slow to startup, and now at times hangs at startup, (2) the PC in general is taking a long time to get responsive after startup (30 min to 1 hour). After that time passes, with all the tweaks I've applied, it's really fast!

I've tried these things:
Reinstalling IE7 and Messenger
Running Windows Update
Disabling or uninstalling any non-essential applications
Disabling non-essential Windows services
Running MalWareBytes Anti-Malware
Running chkdsk /f and /r
Running OTL, but I can't interpret the logs easily
Uninstalling Adobe AIR
Checked my App Event Viewer--I often see this at startup or around a time the PC hangs (but NOT this morning when it was still a slow startup):
Read of USN log for NTFS volume c: failed with error code 0xC000003E. Volume will remain offline until the Indexing Service (cisvc) is restarted.
I turned off Windows Indexing on C drive a few days ago and haven't seen this error since--but still have the slowness problem.
I also see this one in the Event Viewer at the time of PC shutdown:
Windows saved user WINDOWS-A7PGTHO\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.
But I think my services are all running under the right accounts.
Lastly I see this one regularly, but not daily:
Faulting application plugin-container.exe, version 1.9.2.3855, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.3520, fault address 0x0000100b.

***One thing you should know about my PC:
It is a Dell. I used to have XP Home. When I wanted to upgrade to XP Pro, I purchased the standard edition and not the Dell-ified one. Didn't know about the Dell partition. Had to take it to a store, where he ghosted an XP Pro image onto my PC. So at startup the PC doesn't know where the Dell partition is--so I must hit F1 to get it to boot to the right place. This has been working with no issues for many years, but I mention it because of some of the scanning tools we may need to use.

Thanks so much for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

Just my observation...when the system has been tampered with and modified in such ways, I would just do a clean install of the O/S, after I had run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Running the diagnostic will resolve any questions about the hard drive.

The best way to even begin to examine the possibility of malware...would be to move this thread to the Am I Infected forum.

Either of the two possibilities above...can produce any number of unwanted effects on a system, IMO.

Louis

#3 ^QT^

^QT^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Sorry. was reading a similar thread and didn't realize this is the OS one. How can I move it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

I'll move it for you to the Am I Infected forum :thumbsup:.

Good luck :flowers:.

Louis

#5 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hello.

I think it's best for your computer, to look for an infection. Just follow the steps on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html (Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help).

When post your (Hijackthis log +) DDS Log:
  • Be patient, it's very busy at this forum.
  • A professional expert will view your logs and will help you with that problem.
  • Do not use tools (like ComboFix) without professional experience/helper.
Good luck.

Edited by Driesiooo, 04 September 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hello did your MalwareBytes scan find anything??
Tools like OTL ,DDS,HJT etc are not for the average user to use. You can easily cripple your PC.
That said ... We need a deeper look. Please go here....

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.
Create a new topic. Copy the info you have posted above and post your OTL log.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 ^QT^

^QT^
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

Thanks. I will do so when I am at the problem computer again, and if I can get it into a responsive state! Yesterday, after startup, the computer decided we MUST double-click instead of single-click everything. Ugh.

Edited by ^QT^, 10 September 2010 - 07:05 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic346532.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users