Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Channel Memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndyMan315

AndyMan315

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

I run windows 7 32 bit with an intel MOBO with 4 RAM slots. I currently have 2x2G sticks of DDR3 RAM in place. They have always worked fine until now. I have been having issues with my slot A0 not reading, most likely faulty slot because the sticks both work in A1 without a problem. I was wondering IF I were to buy 1 more 2G sticks of RAM and fill up all the other slots (A1, B1,B0) could I still get the full 6G?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

I am not sure if you have tried this yet, but have you tried cleaning the slot out?

It could be a mechanical problem and not an electrical one.

A toothbrush comes in handy for doing this procedure, run the toothbrush through the slot a few times, please be careful no bristles break off in the slot.

Try using the slot again, if the RAM stick is working again, you have resolved the problem, if not then you may have a cold solder joint where the slot connects to the motherboard.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

I have cleaned it although not with a toothbrush ill give that a shot. It has always worked before its just recently when it stopped...I don't know! haha I'll let you know what I get

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

could I still get the full 6G?

32-bit system will not use anything above 4GB.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

The Address Space on a 32-bit operating system only has 4GB of space. The draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well. Typically this means that you will wind up with 3.3GB to 3.5GB of usable space for RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

Yeah Found that out today...oh well...maybe I'll just buy a new 4G stick haha...cleaning didn't fix it...Thanks anyways!

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

I would assume if no modules are working in slot 0 that your slot has a faulty solder joint where it attaches to the motherboard.

This is what I would look at as a possiblility if you can not get any stick to work in that slot.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

On a side note....any advantage from installing dual channel RAM in pairs is probably exaggerated...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

There have been varying reports as to the performance increase of dual-channel configurations, with some tests citing significant performance gains while others suggest almost no gain.

Tom's Hardware found little significant difference between single-channel and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and gaming benchmarks (using a "modern" system setup). In its tests, dual channel gave at best a 5% speed increase in memory-intensive tasks.[3] An older comparison by laptoplogic.com found a speed advantage of up to 15.3% for the integrated intel GMA900 graphics when utilizing dual channel memory.[4] The test results published by Tom's Hardware had a discrete graphics comparison.

The difference can be far more significant in applications that manipulate large amounts of data in memory. A comparison by TechConnect Magazine demonstrated considerable gains for dual-channel in tasks using block sizes greater than 4 MB, and during stream processing by the CPU

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users