Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of "Death"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bape

Bape

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:49 AM

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 1135 nr Laptop. I was using my laptop normally this morning and all of a sudden I get a random black screen. Not knowing what to do, I turned it off and let it sit for a bit, thinking it just over heated or something. I turned it back on hoping the black screen of death would go away but it didn't. The laptop boots up normally and the black screen is there and my caps lock light is flashing (I don't know why it is doing it). I am hoping somebody has some solutions to how i can fix this problem.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hi Bape, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Try plugging in an external monitor to see if you have video output.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bape

Bape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

Yes, I tried that but I still have the same problem.

#4 alan2273

alan2273

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:02 AM

Have a read of this.
http://getsatisfaction.com/hp/topics/hp_dv...tantly_blinking

#5 Bape

Bape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thank you I figured out it was Blink Code 1. I really don't understand what that means.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Here is your blink codes and descriptions.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3816592

Blink 1 means your CPU is none functional, Blink: 1 - Caps Lock/Num Lock CPU CPU not functional

Explanation:The computer processor (Blink code 1) has stopped functioning properly. Contact HP for assistance.

Are you sure it is 1 blink code?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Lessynz

Lessynz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

Blinking cap/num lock led code reveals that my processor is no longer functioning properly. Where can I buy a good one equivalent to the one in my HP Pavillion dv4? If I can replace it myself I would like to do so rather than pay an arm and leg for someone else to do it. After careful research...it's actually not hard.

Edited by Lessynz, 06 February 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#8 adnerb.rellim68

adnerb.rellim68

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

I had the same issue today with my HP, I also have the CPU failure, I havent found much info with a long term fix however I do know how to get the laptop back on and it seems strange but it works, just turn your computer off and take a blow dryer turn it on to level 2 or the highest it goes and ull wanna blow in on the back of the computer all the way over to the left where the top vent is for at least one min, after that the computer will be a little warm but just turn it on and wala its back on, sad thing is anytime the screen goes out or u turn it off you have to do the same thing, but at least you can back up information. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users