Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA to USB device.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wyler

Wyler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi, first time posting on the fourms and I hope this is the right section.

I had a HP Windows Vista (upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate though recently) but due to a power surge it stopped working. I have a Lenovo laptop too which still works. I have some data on the hard drive from the computer that died and I need off of it. Also, since my laptop doesn't have a burning drive, just a standard DVD/CD reader, I want to also be able to use the burning drive from that computer as well.

My plan was to get this device from Newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-014-_-Product

Hook up my hard drive, copy the stuff I need to have burned, then hook up my burning drive to burn the stuff I copied to my laptop. I cannot open up my laptop because it is a school laptop. They will have me pay for it if it's opened and I definitely do not have the funds for that.

So my question is, will this device help me for what I'm trying to do? I just don't want to waste any money, I'm working on some really limited funds. If it's not right, can someone help me pick out the right thing I need?

Also, I was going to get some dual layer DVD-R's from Newegg as well. Which one would you recommend?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817130048
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-029-_-Product

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I'd appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:58 AM

Those USB/SATA adapters work very well with hard drives. I have 3 or 4 of them now and use them constantly to transfer data to/from customer's drives. The problem is using a converter to burn disks with a CD/DVD burner. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I don't have this particular model, so I can't say specifically whether it will work well with a burner or not.

If you need dual layer DVDs, Verbatim is the only way to go. Any other brand is a crapshoot.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:17 AM

Taiyo Yuden is one of the best out there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

Those USB/SATA adapters work very well with hard drives. I have 3 or 4 of them now and use them constantly to transfer data to/from customer's drives. The problem is using a converter to burn disks with a CD/DVD burner. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I don't have this particular model, so I can't say specifically whether it will work well with a burner or not.

If you need dual layer DVDs, Verbatim is the only way to go. Any other brand is a crapshoot.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

Taiyo Yuden is one of the best out there.

No argument there, but he needed dual layer media. I assume a "+R DL" seeing as the "-R DL" is a very rare bird and many DL burners don't support it. TY doesn't make "+R" double layer to my knowledge.

Now, TY DVD+R is my absolute favorite, but it never goes on sale, and I end up picking up a 100 pack of Verbatims at Sam's just out of convenience.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users