Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with hp DVD Writer 300n

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hello, I have a dell gx270 desktop computer. I recently took my hp DVD Writer 300n out of my compaq Presario SR1090NX computer and connected it into the empty slot on my dell gx270. My dell gx270 recognizes the hp DVD Writer 300n but when I insert a disk into the drive and click on the DVD/CD-RW Drive(E:) on my computer to view the disk I get an error saying E:/ is not accessible. Incorrect function. It's not the disk because I've tryed multiple disks and I get the same error. I spent some time looking for a good place to post this and I figured this would be the appropriate place. If this is the wrong place, please tell me where I should post this on the site, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

This information might resolve your problem, this is a copy and paste from a Microsoft knowledge base article.

(UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ERRORS)

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Regards,

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thank you for your help. I wasn't able to fix it but I'm most likely going to buy an external drive. I have one more question if you don't mind. I have a DVD/CD-RW Drive(D:) that came with my computer. I am able to read Samsung DVD+R 4.7 GB/120MIN 4x disks in it but it won't read DVD-R 4.7 GB/120MIN 16x or DVD+R 4.7GB/120MIN 16x. I don't understand why that is.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

Optical drives, especially dvd burners have firmware, like a bios in a computer, that tells the drive how to burn certain media.

Media(blank dvd's) have a mid code(media/identification) that tell the firmware how to burn those disks.

It's rocket science

Edited by DaChew, 04 September 2010 - 07:20 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Not all drives are capable of burning successfully at speeds above 4X.

Some drives have problems burning above 2X.

This burn failure has to do with both hardware limitations and software limitations.

I am not sure what software you are using to burn disks, so I can not comment on your software.

As far as hardware goes, older drives were designed/ manufactured when the system BUS speeds were much slower than they are today.

So basically 4X was considered to be pretty fast back in those days.

Another factor I have run into is the type of media being used.

I have bought new CD-R disks that could not be recognized by one DVD-RW drive, but worked in an older CD-RW drive, as strange as it seems, even a firmware upgrade to the DVD-RW drive did not resolve the problem.

The factors that come into play here are the drives laser orientation and the drives controller chip.

A firmware update could possibly resolve the problem, however, if the controller chip and design is not capable of performing task faster than 4X, then there isn't much you can do about this limitation, except to replace the drive with a new one that supports faster burn speeds of 16X.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

How do I know if my hp DVD Writer 300n is compatible with my dell gx270 computer? My dell recognizes the drive. Do I need to buy the DVD300 disk from hp to install the original drivers onto my dell? Will that fix the problem I'm having? All I did was plug it in and try to use it. I'm thinking I need the DVD300 disk.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Here is the specs on your computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/ug/specs.htm

Here is your support page along with downloads and manuals.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

I do not know what Windows OS you have installed, this link is set to Windows XP, if you are not using Windows XP, please change the OS in the drop down menu to the correct OS you are currently using.

I see where the drop down menu stops with Windows XP.

Try checking this link out for Windows 7 compatability.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 September 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

The burner out of the HP computer is compatible with any ide PC, you need no special drivers. Just make sure you have the jumper for master/slave/cable select set right and the ide cable is connected correctly.

These drives have no special drivers, they are native to the OS.
Chewy

#9 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

I have my IDE cable plugged into both of my DVD/CD drives. My DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:) is the master and my DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) is the slave and I have it plugged into CPU Board. I have a power cable going to each of them. I went into the BIOS and I didn't see it in there. I only saw my hard drive and my DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:). I know where the jumpers are I just don't know how to set them correctly. Since I didn't do anything to/with my jumpers, do you think this is the reason the drive isn't working correctly?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

Make sure the top drive is jumpered master and connected to the end of the ide cable and the lower drive jumpered slave and connected to the middle of the cable.
Chewy

#11 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

The jumpers were set wrong. It lets me view the dvd now but when I try to burn something to the disk with convertxtodvd I get an error saying error Write error at 0 (16) - code 03 73 03 [ Medium error, Power calibration fail (CD-burner is dirty)].

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

That dell is still a decent computer, I would buy a new ide burner, remove both the other drives.

For 20$ I wouldn't waste time with an old drive, they don't last that long and the old ones, especially the HP ones weren't that good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827151176
Chewy

#13 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thank you very much for all your help. I'm assuming this drive is compatible with my dell optiplex gx270? Will this new drive read memorex DVD+R 16x 4.7GB 120MIN of play disks?

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

With the newest firmware it should read/burn most any common blanks, however some burners seem to like certain mid codes better.

I have had excellent results with most memorex disks, but Verbatim is usually superior.
Chewy

#15 Ihatevirusesalot

Ihatevirusesalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

I'm going to buy it. Do you suggest getting the extra year warranty or will I be ok?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users