Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Enclosure for IDE Hard Drive (Ultra ATA)?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elocrian

elocrian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

I have an old laptop that I want to pull the hard drive from to use for extra storage.
The HD is a Seagate 5400.3
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgne...mp;locale=en-US

So to my understanding, this is IDE (pins), but the "Ultra ATA/100" thing is throwing me.

Can I use any IDE external enclosure like:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182145

or is there something more complicated - I will be using this as an external backup drive with Win7...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

That enclosure should work as long as the usb port that you connect to has enough power for the hard drive.
Usb power is limited and shared among components.

The ata100 was just the speed of the ide interface, the actual hard drives were always slower, usb2 is much slower.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 elocrian

elocrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users