Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer blocking Firefox download

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

My husband's old XP computer konked out so we bought a newer, faster processor, used XP computer with fresh install of XP.

Problem is: I downloaded Power Point Viewer to new computer but Firefox couldn't find the viewer and keeps popping up a box that says "Firefox doesn't know what program you want to open this file with" But the list of programs doesn't list Power Point viewer as one of the choices.

So I deleted the Firefox program and tried to re-install Firefox, thinking that maybe it was missing some critical files. But Internet Explorer is not letting me download Firefox now. A box pops up and says "To protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked the installation of this program."

I have gone in and tried to change the Security settings in I.E. but I haven't hit on the right button to click.

When I go to my personal computer and try to open the PPS file, it brings up the list of programs to use to open and Power Point is listed there in order to open the file.

After messing around with it, my husband can view the pps files, but we have to save the file to a folder labeled "pps files", then go into Power Point Viewer and open the saved file and then we can view the pps file. It is a pain in the butt to do that but at least he can now see the pps files until we figure out why Firefox couldn't find the PP viewer.

But I still have the problem with not being able to download Firefox. How do you fix it so that Firefox or I.E. either one doesn't block the downloading of a file you want to download? I don't mind the prompts of "Are you sure you want to do this? or This site has been designated as a dangerous site" but to not be able to over ride the block is ticking me off.

Anybody got any suggestions? I can't find the answer in any of my XP books etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Firstly, when Internet Explorer says its blocked a download it hasn't really blocked it, it has just hidden it. If you click on the golden bar that says To protect your security....etc you will be given an option to continue the download. That is, if you're talking about this: http://mmrc.uark.edu/bbsupport/wp-content/...nload-popup.gif

Secondly it just sounds like your .pps files are defaulting to a different program when trying to open. To fix this you can right click on the file, then goto Open With.. then "Choose Program" If you don't see the Powerpoint Viewer listed in here you will have to browse your computer for it. It will most likely be located within My Computer -> Local Disk C: -> Program Files -> Powerpoint Viewer -- or something very similar

Edited by fueL, 03 September 2010 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users