Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unreasonable wireless issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RosieCotton

RosieCotton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

I have had my laptop for a couple of weeks now, and I have always been able to connect to my home wireless network just fine. It is a hidden network, but I haven't had any problems with it before. However, this morning, it flat-out refused to allow me access to the Internet. I have restarted the computer, deleted and re-added the network connection, disconnected and reconnected ad nauseam. According to the computer, I am connected and have full Internet access, but I do not. I have two clues as to the solution to this problem:

Under my connection status, "IPv4 connectivity" says "Internet," but "IPv6 connectivity" says "No Internet access."

When I troubleshoot the connection, it either tells me that it doesn't know what's wrong, or it gives me one of the following two messages:
"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."
"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding."

Other than this, my Internet claims it is completely functional, despite the fact that I can't connect to any websites.

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I'm not extremely technical either. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi :thumbsup: to Bleepingcomputer!

Well you have eliminated some of the things that I would have had you check but now I would try and reset the router, do you have any other machines on your wireless network? Do they work fine? Your router might be having an IP address issue so that is why I would reset it. :flowers:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 RosieCotton

RosieCotton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Therein lies the most confusing aspect of the problem. There is another computer on my network and I am using it right now. It works fine. I also already reset the router this morning.

Edited by RosieCotton, 03 September 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#4 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Open up IE and go to tools internet options(not sure if its the same on win 7, as I've have very limit play time with it) Under the connections tab press the LAN settings button. Is there a proxy set up? I've seen viruses/malware mess with those settings all the time.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#5 RosieCotton

RosieCotton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

I use Firefox, not IE. Does that matter?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:51 PM

In that case go to tools preferences then go to advanced then network then click the first settings button then select auto detect proxy settings. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users