Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loleo

loleo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

I feel like its time for a new computer, and this time id like to build one from scratch.
This means that I would be more than gladly to recieve ideas and suggestions for parts to use!
My budget is currently at 3000$
I will use this PC for playing games and video / picture editing.
I mostly play FPS games and MMOs.
I will use this computer to store files such as: music, video, pictures etc
I will use this computer to record my gameplays then edit them, so there is a high chance that many programs will be used at once.

So far ive been looking at the following components:

PC Case : Antec Twelve Hundred Big Tower Sort
Hard Drive : Intel X25-M SSD 80GB 2,5", Retail
CD-ROM Drive : Sony Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7240S
Processor : Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-930
Motherboard : ASUS M4A89GTD PRO, Socket-AM3
Memory Modules : Corsair Value S. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB CL9 X 2
Power Supply : Corsair HX 850W PSU
Video Card : ???

As you can see, I have not made a decision for a Video Card, as I am unsure about what to use, so if you have any ideas please let me know.
If you see any items above, that you think would drag down the PC performance, please let me know, and if you think i should change any components please let me know, I am still planning what parts to buy!

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2010 - 04:06 PM.
Moved from Buying A New Computer to System Building ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

CPU- The 950 is within about $15 of the 930, a no brainer.

Hard Drive- You will need a storage drive as well.

Motherboard- If you can get an Intel CPU to fit in an AMD board (without a sledgehammer) then kudos.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20

Or you can go AMD. As I haven't built an AMD system in awhile, I will defer to the experts.

Memory- You will need a 3 channel setup (3X2gig) with an X58 board, preferably 1600.

Power supply- Good choice

Edited by dpunisher, 03 September 2010 - 04:19 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:53 PM

Building a PC within that price range is a little tricky because of AMD and Intel releasing new CPU's and motherboards next year, only one of which has limited backwards compatibility. There are two paths you can take with differing applications.

Intel: Intel is still the reigning champion, for now, in CPU's at the i7 950 level or higher. However, the socket which runs an i7 930, 950, and all the other high-end Intel CPU's, the socket LGA 1366, will be phased out next year in favor of the LGA 2011 socket. Socket LGA 1366 and LGA 2011 are not compatible with each other, LGA 1366 CPU's will not work in LGA 2011 motherboards and vice versa.

AMD: With AMD's CPU's you are getting a slightly different situation. AMD's flagship CPU Phenom II X6 1090T still gets trounced by i7 950 in situations where not all six cores are used. The 1090T works best in situations where actual physical cores are preferred. Handbrake, for example, will use as many cores as it can take, as does rendering and scientific applications. But, AMD will also be introducing a new line of CPU's next year with limited backwards compatibility. The current AMD CPU's run using socket AM3, the new socket is AM3+. CPU's using AM3+ sockets will not be backwards compatible with AM3 due to the radical new design AMD will be using. However, AM3 CPU's will work in AM3+ motherboards.

According to your profile, you are in Norway, where are you planning on buying your components?

3939.png

#4 alan2273

alan2273

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

Just a quick observation, in the list you posted an Intel processor, and an AMD motherboard.
So you just need to sort out an Intel motherboard and tri channel memory and you are good to go.

#5 loleo

loleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback!
I have been looking a bit more into this (also realised that i have the wrong motherboard) and I ended up with this:

Antec Twelve Hundred

Corsair HX 850W PSU

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Unlocked Desktop Processor BX80605I7875K

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G (2 packs of these)

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support

HIS Turbo H587FNT1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card DirectX 11/ Eyefinity w/ Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Game Coupon

SilverStone SDP08 3.5" to 2 x 2.5" Bay Converter

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

But I do believe ill listen to DJBPace07 and see what is comming out next year.
And I will not buy my computer parts in norway as it is very expensive.
Im planning on buying online then having the items shipped over to my country,
so if you know about any good websites that does international shipping please let me know :D

Thanks for all the feedback and for pointing out that my motherboard would not work with the processor!

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

I think ebuyer ships internationally. They are U.K. based and will ship to the U.S., I assume they will ship to Norway also. I bought a pair of Shure headphones from them a few years back and they were excellent to work with. Computer components may be a little different given export regulations. If you're not buying this PC until next year, looking up parts is a little premature as prices and selection will be different several months from now. However, below are articles on the upcoming architectures from both Intel and AMD.

Intel (Sandy Bridge)
Anandtech - The Sandy Bridge Preview
Overclockers - Intel Sandy Bridge Roadmap Leaked
Bit-tech - Intel Sandy Bridge: Details of the next gen

AMD (Bulldozer)
Anandtech - AMD Discloses Bobcat & Bulldozer Architectures at Hot Chips 2010
AMD - Bulldozer | AMD at Work
HardOCP - AMD’s Bulldozer and Bobcat Processors Preview

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users