Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons looking funny

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chefman22

Chefman22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hi, I have Windows 7 and recently my icons are looking funny. This only happens on icons on programs that I have installed. The computer, control panel and garbage can icon are all fine. It looks as if there is a small picture of a box and computer disc infront of each icon on my desktop. No matter what I try, rebuilding the icons, replacing them etc...nothing helps.

And I can't seem to be able to put a picture of what I'm talking about here. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You may have installed a program that changed your desktop icons through windows themes.

Here is a suggestion, right click your desk top, click on personalization, then look for change desk top icons in the menu on the left.

The desk top icon settings window will open, look for a button which says restore default and click it.

This should over-ride the theme that is in place and restore your icons to look as they should.

Please let me know if this has resolved your problem.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 September 2010 - 07:35 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Chefman22

Chefman22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

Nope, didn't help. It's funny too, because if I install something new, that icon shows up with the same small box and disc picture in the lower left hand corner of the icon. Can someone help me figure out why I can't post a pic here? I uploaded a pic to several free sites and got the codes, but none of them seem to work with the button here to put a picture in a post. :huh: I'd really like for you all to see these icons for a better idea.

Thanks again

Posted Image

ahh think I got it! I can upload a picture! Whoo! Anyways, thats on all my icons except the computer, recycle, control panel, network. Any other icons I have all have that picture on it. Any ideas? Cause I hate it. :huh:

Edited by Chefman22, 04 September 2010 - 04:01 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

I looked at the image, but I have to admit the image is small and hard to make out.

Obviously, there is a program on your computer that has taken control of your desktop shortcut icons.

The question is, what program is it that is causing this to happen?

Can you think back to when this started happening and what program you may have installed?

Is it some type of un-install program, such as a disk cleaning program?

Without us knowing what you have installed for programs, makes it some what difficult for us to figure out what is causing this to happen.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Chefman22

Chefman22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

I know it happened right around the time I was talked into trying the alienware desktop themes. I hated them, uninstalled them and was left with this mess. So I'm pretty sure that is the culprit. Just have no idea how to fix this aside from a complete wipe of my system which I really dont want to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users