Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Staff opinions on best PC security software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wojjo58

wojjo58

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

I notice the forum responders here all have their favorite tools for going after viruses, trojans, etc. Once the unwashed are cleaned, what software would this forum recommend to keep the masses in a state of grace? I am loosing confidence in the big name suites, and I'm thinking that a combination of freeware/cheapware would probably do as good, if not better, a job at keeping me safe. I'm guessing we need:

1) Anti-virus
2) Anti-malware
3) Anti-rootkit
4) Antie Emma
5) Anti-phishing
6) Anti-popup :flowers:
7) Email protection
...and probably others

I would like to solicite the experts here for their opinions. If this is an innappropriate place to post, excuse the bandwidth, and I will repost as directed. Thank you all for the work you do......for free? :thumbsup:

PS please disregard number 4...I've been re-directed one too many times...... :trumpet:

Mod Edit... Moved to AntiVirus discussions.
# 4 I use Oh Reee Oh

Edited by boopme, 03 September 2010 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

You only really need the top 3 realistically to stay safe since the anti virus usually covers 5-7. These are my personal choices on what would be good for anyone.
1) Free) Microsoft essentials , payed) Nod 32/Eset
2) Free) Malwarebytes , Free) spyboy search and destroy
I will change this to anti spyware since it seems more relevent
4) Free) Superantispyware

#3 CStew23

CStew23

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

I've been a fan of AVG for years but, Avast isn't bad for anti-virus.

If we're talking about anti-ma;ware then absolutely Malwarebytes ranks at the top
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
If you have not heard from me in 48 hours please use this and send me a PM reminder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users