Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mac os maintence

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 belteck

belteck

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

What is everyone doing for maintenance on thier macs? Right now all I know about is the disk utility>repair permissions. Is there anything else I should be doing??

Running 10.6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Well I try to keep items off the desktop and keep items off of the start up list. I also try to keep at least 10 GB free on my hard disk. Other than that I dont have anything else I do. There will be another opinion coming your way in a little while so... Also I keep mine backed up, I say that because you havent really specified what along the lines of mataniance you want to know, I assumed that you wanted to know how to keep it clean and fast. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

I assumed that you wanted to know how to keep it clean and fast. :blink:

Pretty much lol..im kinda bored when I use it. Looking for stuff to do it to keep it healthy.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Well like I said I dont do much to keep mine running fast really don't need to. But you will get other opinions. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

25 Ways to Speed Up Your Mac

I didn't see this in the link but you should verify your startup disc once in a while. Disk Utility > choose Macintosh HD > hit the Verify button. If an error shows up, boot up from the supplied DVD to Repair Disk with Disk Utility.
I occasionally use AppleJack, Disk Warrior and boot into a Safe Mode when a glitch happens with either of my Macs.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

Also BTW I found a cool new utility that will help when removing an application, I wrote about it App trap is a macs best friend Its free so... It made it so that when I installed an app the amount of disc space it took up when installed was freed up when uninstalled. Oh and I also forgot about disk warrior but it costs money thats why i didnt recomend it.

Edited by computerxpds, 04 September 2010 - 06:59 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Also BTW I found a cool new utility that will help when removing an application, I wrote about it App trap is a macs best friend Its free so... It made it so that when I installed an app the amount of disc space it took up when installed was freed up when uninstalled. Oh and I also forgot about disk warrior but it costs money thats why i didnt recomend it.

DW is one of those "better to have and not need, than to need and not have" programs that will save your data when all else fails. Worth it's $99.95 price tag IMHO.
I've never heard of App Trap before, I'll try it since AppCleaner didn't get everything the last time I used it to delete an app.
I used Easy Find on my OSX 10.4 Mac for a while to search for files and delete some whenever I needed to. It worked pretty good for what it designed to do.

Edited by Buddyme2, 06 September 2010 - 04:37 PM.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Yeah DW is awesome. Yeah App trap is awesome when you drag an app to the trash a dialog pops and shows you what it wants to delete then you decide if you want to and it will put it all in the trash. :blink:
sigcomp.png 

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

Does it get the files from ~/Library/Application Support folder also? I just found some files in there from apps that I had deleted from my HD.

Edited by Buddyme2, 06 September 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

Im not sure. Here is the current developers page: http://onnati.net/apptrap/index.htm I looked and could not find whether it does or not sorry.
sigcomp.png 

#11 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

I looked at that site earlier. Not much documentation about apptrap there. It took a little bit of time figuring out how it worked. Plus I was surprised that OS X didn't even ask for my admin password to install it as a pref pane item.

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

odd it asked me I think for my admin password. I don't know, all I know is it saves me disc space and so did the app monolingual. That saved me 3-4GB which is awesome since my iBook has a 30GB hard drive. :blink:
sigcomp.png 

#13 Ryan Pianesi

Ryan Pianesi

• Banned Spammer
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speed+up+windows+7

#14 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I think you meant this instead? :blink:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speed+up+Mac+OS+X

Edited by Buddyme2, 07 September 2010 - 07:16 PM.

#15 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:09 AM

OS X maintenance? Leave the computer on, it'll do the work itself in the night. Other than that I run Onyx before running Software Update.

Once a month I run SuperDuper to image the disc on another one and have Time Machine running as daily backup.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users