Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntivirusGT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alan2273

alan2273

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

I have just been to look at a friends computer and they are locked out of it.
After you select a user, (Windows 7), a UAC box comes up headed AntivirusGT, and asks for a password to update.
I know this is a virus and Malwarebytes will get rid of it, but as no one seems to know the password so I cannot go any further.
I tried starting in safe mode, but could not get a taskbar to use any of the programs.
Can anyone advise how to get round this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

1 ) With the Hiren's Boot CD there is posibility to get back to your files to backup them, there are tools available to destroy the malware files.
* Hirens Boot CD starts from a CD, and looks like XP version.

You need a computer by a friend or another computer of yours and a blank CD.

- You can download the Hiren's boot CD on http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html
Look on and click on: + Direct HTTP Mirror

To burn the Hiren's BootCD you can use the software below.

Download burncdcc.zip (68.7 KB).
  • Extract the ISO image file (named like Hiren's.BootCD.xx.x.iso) file from the zip archive (named like Hirens.BootCD.xx.x.zip ) you have downloaded.
  • Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD writer.
  • Open BurnCDCC, Click BrowseŁand then select the ISO file you have extracted from the zip archive.
  • Click Start to start burning.
  • Put your Hiren's BootCD in the infected/damaged computer when rebooting.
  • The computer will ask for booting from CD. Do this so the CD would load.
  • Note: If the CD doesn't start your boot order isn't set correctly. Reply if this occur.
2) Backup your important files in the mini XP version of Hirens Boot CD.

Do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

3) Try to run MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) with the Hiren's boot CD

Edited by Driesiooo, 03 September 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#3 alan2273

alan2273
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for your reply, I downloaded the Hirens ISO and burnt it to a Cd, then I tested it out on my computer, it booted fine, then I accessed miniXp and ran Malwarebytes from a USB pendrive, (I downloaded it from the net and installed and updated it to the USB pendrive),When I tried to run it, I kept getting a runtime error, although it worked from the pendrive on my main computer.
In the HBCD menu you cannot run Malwarebyes as they are only BAT files.

Edited by alan2273, 03 September 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#4 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

I was mixing the Windows PE Mini CD Edition (combination of Hiren's bootcd + XP SP2) en Hiren's together. :thumbsup:

Use option 3: Antivirus tools

Edited by Driesiooo, 03 September 2010 - 10:59 AM.

#5 alan2273

alan2273
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

I downloaded and used version 11, it is different to your instructions, but I sorted it out and now my friend has a working computer again.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users