Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Little Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

I just recently got C&C: Gens for my PC... I got to the 4th mission in the China campaign and its just a black screen. It gets past the loading part, where the "intelligence woman" tells me wht my mission is, but when the game actually starts, it slows down considerably. As if my comps specs were 3x below the required. I don't get it. I have nothing running in the back, except the usual (Norton Internet Security, Spysweeper, ZA, SpyBot, and occasionally MSN Mesg).

My specs are
2.53ghz P4
1GB Ram
nVidia 5600 128mb AGP4x

please help, GENS is a kik-butt game! and it sux not being able to play it. :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:30 AM

You shouldn't be running two firewalls at once. That can mess with your system pretty bad.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:16 AM

You shouldn't be running two firewalls at once. That can mess with your system pretty bad.

Let's see if my dad wants to believe that...

I forgot to mention that as soon as the game starts (the mission) my "intelligence" gives me just one line then all I hear is a looped helicopter sound. nothing more, nothing less. and get this, I can play everything else just fine. Do you think that some files are corrupted? Is that even possible with a brand-new software? I really want to play!! Thanx much

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

I think the card was overheating... because I tried it this morning and it was playing just fine. Is there a way to prevent it from overheating again? I made an intake hole for an 80mm fan in the front of the case, which cooled the system dramatically. I think the card upgrade, from a MX420 to a 5600XT, made the system heat up again.

- Rick Cook

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

If you added a new graphics card, do you have a powerful enough PSU to handle it? If it isn't it can cause overheating and other graphical problems.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:48 PM

Is a 250 watt PSU fine? Because I've heard real-life comments about the 6600GT running flawlessly with the same setup I have.

- Rick Cook

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:58 PM

Is a 250 watt PSU fine? Because I've heard real-life comments about the 6600GT running flawlessly with the same setup I have.

I wish it was that simple. :thumbsup:
It depends on the quality on the power supply, and the trustworthiness of the brand. (Just because it says it is 250W doesn't mean that in actual usage it is.) Then there is the possibility that you haven't got enough amperage on the +12V rail.

If you could list the details of your power supply and more details of your computer, so we can pour over them and see if the problem might lie there.

You can also use Everest to look at you temperatures and voltages and post them here. You find them under Computer/Sensor.

On a non-hardware front you can try shutting down everything in the background and then run C&C:Generals and see if that helps.

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:55 AM

The computer is from Dell. If somebody would let me have a job, I wouldn't be running this computer for my games. Everst would be pointless, because there are no sensors to check for temperatures. eMachines have them, but Dell doesn't. Simple competition? I don't know. What I do know, is I really hate it when my games slow down because the company who made my computer wanted to save money.

C&C: Generals is running fine now. I don't know what happened, but it's working without a hitch. I just want to prevent this from happening again.

- Rick Cook

#9 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

Do you think an upgrade to a 300 watt PSU will fix my problem?

- Rick Cook

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

You could try this: Run down to some computer store where you can return what you've bought and buy a at least 400W PSU with 20 amps in the +12V rail and plug it into your computer. If it solves you problems, everything fine, if it doesn't you can always return it.

#11 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

That's the thing... I didn't buy the computer from a store. I bought it from eBay. But I will take your advice and see if there is a 400 watt PSU with a 20 amp 12vdc line.

- Rick Cook

#12 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

Will this one work?

ATADC Powerking PSU

- Rick Cook

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:48 AM

I'm not sure, never had a Dell, but I think they sometimes use somekind of proprietary connectors.

#14 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

I don't have that kind of connector... It's a 20-pin ATX with the 4-pin 12vdc for the P4. I have no idea why they chose this, but they did.

- Rick Cook

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:28 AM

That's one problem avoided. :thumbsup:

As for the PSU, I'd be highly suspicious on any PSU you can get for $15. My recommendation is to go for a quality brand, like Antec.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users