Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot reinstall Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys,

I tried to reinstall Windows 7 on multiple occasions, (problem just starting) and when I do, I get this error message: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/495256...013a751f4_b.jpg .

I know the picture isn't great, so I typed it too.... "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files for installation are available, and restart the installation."

I've tried 2 different (legit) disc that I have, one 64-bit, one 32-bit. Any suggestions on what to do, or an explanation of what's happening?

--
Aaron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

It appears that your DVD drive's firmware is defective. Copy all the files to your hard disk in a folder (e.g C:\Win7). Then boot using the Windows Recovery CD (not the Windows DVD). Go to command prompt in Recovery Environment, give command C:\Win7\setup.exe and follow the process.

Here is bit-torrent link for Recovery Disk ISO image : http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930984

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 toop4

toop4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

The thing is, I already formatted.... I was using Ubuntu until I got it fixed.

#5 toop4

toop4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

I will do that, thanks. :huh:
Just curious, would you have an idea why it'd work with Ubuntu, but not Windows?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

Another hint, I found: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation...html#post507308

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 toop4

toop4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hey all,

I got a suggestion from Galadriel to use DBAN a nuke my hard drive, I did that, and now I can install Windows 7 again! Thanks for the suggestions though! :huh:

--
toop4

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for posting back :huh:

My Website

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

At the time, I hadn't seen all the posts. My first thought was that either the disk was defective (which was a very very slim chance since he tried two - both originals) or there was an issue with the HDD. DBAN was a long shot, but I figured the drive may have had some funky partition on it that didn't allow the Win 7 disk to create the bootloader properly. It failed early in the install, after the format.... so the drive was good. In any case, I'm glad to see it worked out. :huh:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users