Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless will not stay connected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Akishaviji

Akishaviji

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

I've been having some trouble with my wireless internet not staying connected to the router that I'm using. It's happened a couple times in the past, but we got a new wireless router today, and after connecting it, my wireless disconnects from my connection roughly every 7-12 minutes. In fact, it disconnected as I typed that. It sometimes reconnects itself after about 30-40 seconds after it disconnects itself, but this is a rare occurrence. I was browsing the internet with a couple tabs open, and MSN Messenger running when the disconnects started to get really bad. I cut the tabs down to one, and exited MSN Messenger, but it still keeps happening.

I am using Windows 7 (x64 bit), and am browsing with Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.8. My wireless modem is from Motorola (a SB5102 cable modem), and my new wireless router is a Linksys by Cisco wireless N router. It's not new per say, our new roommate brought it in, and it worked perfectly fine at his old place. There are two other computers wired to the router, one of which is currently hibernating while my husband is at work.

I've unplugged the router waited 10 seconds, and plugged it back in (no noticeable change) , tried manually disconnecting and reconnecting the connection (no noticeable change), and reset the router (made the disconnections more frequent).

Thank you for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2010 - 09:05 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing to Networking forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

Try downloading NetStumbler (Windows) or one of the other Stumblers for your machine and use it to take a look at the competing signals in your area. You want to set your router to channel 1, 6, or 11 that has the lowest power signals on the same or adjacent channels (channels 1-3, 4-8, 9-11). It's better to be on the same channel as a nearby strong signal than on an adjacent channel, but far better yet to be by far the strongest signal in your part of the band.

For example, if you see your network on Channel 1 at 75% strength (the display will be different depending on the specific Stumbler you use) and another network is also on Channel 1 at 65% you have a little problem. If there is another network on Channel 2 at 80% you have an even bigger problem. If you see nothing over 25% on channels 9 to 11 you want to change your router to channel 11. WiFi radios that are on the same channel will contend for the available airtime, but those on different, but interfering channels will simply corrupt each others' signals, hence the preference for channels 1,6, and 11 (in the USA) because they are the three mutually non-interfering channels in the 2.4Ghz WiFi spectrum.

The other thing to check is the wireless drivers on your computer. Check with the manufacturer or the NIC vendor for the latest version. 802.11n is much more strict in some timing aspects, and many older NICs need a little tweaking to work well with it even in compatibility mode. If the Cisco is older you may want to check it's firmware too.

This problem isn't easy to fix, because there are a lot of things that can go wrong and because it isn't totally broken it's hard to tell when you have found the real issue. Keep working on it.

#3 Akishaviji

Akishaviji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:36 AM

Hello,

I tried NetStumbler, and it didn't detect my wireless card. I went under the "select device", and it said that neither of my devices were supported. I tried downloading it on the desktop that is connected to the router/modem, and the wireless device wasn't supported either.

I also tried updating the drivers, that seemed to work, it delayed the disconnecting times to about 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the info and help though, Orecomm. ^^

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Try inssider will tell you what channels others are on as well as yourself.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

What wireless adapter are you using?

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your wireless adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users