Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootmgr is missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

HELP!!!! my xp machine is now dead it says boot mgr is missing press control alt delete to restart
when i press whaty it says it just loops back to the same message
I know i need a win xp install cd to use the repair module but i dont have one bc my win is oem it came with the machine and no disks
what i need is a download of an iso that i can burn to a disk so iu can have an xp disk but noone has one noone has the files for it and microsoft only has the floppy disk software on their site which i cant use bc i dont own a floppy drive since yrs ago
pls someone help me get an xp disc img hell im even willing to send a money order to whoever will sell me an xp disk
im using (was using) win xp sp3 i really hope somebody here has this

pls if anyone has something that will work pls pm me immediately i need to get my files back

Edited by don wolfani, 02 September 2010 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

Can you boot int Safe Mode?

When the computer begins to start up press and hold F8. When the screen opens with a black background and white lettering use the up and down keys to navigate to System Restore and click on it.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date prior to when this problem began and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

no i cannot it does not matter whether i try for safemode or not it says this pls somebody tell me where to get a restore disc iso i cant get linux bc this peice of crap vista machine either refuses to connect or waits till its at 90 percent of the 4 gig linux iso and drops the connect

#4 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

Sentence structure would help your posts out wonderfully.

Do you have important files on the WinXP hard drive?
If both your XP and Vista box are desktop computers, yank the xp hard drive and connect it to your Vista box, then dump the files to your Vista hard drive.

I see no way you can fix your problem without some kind of OS disk. If there are no crucial files on your XP, I'd just install Vista (if you have the install dvd), though I'd rather have XP than Vista.
You Linux iso should not be 4 GB, and I have never seen a distro that big.

Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download and download either a x32 or x64 copy of Ubuntu, .iso format. The file will be around 686MB-687MB.
Burn this to a CD and boot from there.

Edited by maki2012, 07 September 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

First of all, I agree with the previous comment on your sentence structure. There are members that rely on software to translate our topics, and without proper punctuation it can make it difficult for their software to perform properly. More to the point, there are members here that will not take the time to try to figure out what you are say if it is one continuous sentence.

The previous suggestion to install the hdd in another computer is valid. But if it is a IDE connection you will want to install it as a slave drive. This will involve moving the jumper on the rear of the hdd to reflect that mode of operation. If it is a SATA hdd, then it doesn't matter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

I apologize for my sentences earlier.
i was sort of freaking out the whole time because i no longer had a working machine.
both machines were laptops with no extra places for internal hardrives, however i managed to install mandriva linux over the system restore partiton and access my windows partion with it.
this allowed me to get all of my music, picture, etcerta off my hardrive and make backups of them.
i then installed linux on my entire hardrive and am only in need of small updates such as extra codecs for video and other such multimedia stuff.
i am now very happy with linux and will be directing any other inquiries to the linux threads.

thank you all for what help you have been to me and for your suggestions.

#7 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Well, glad to have another satisfied Linux user in the world. I never heard of Mandriva Linux, but it looks pretty good.

Best of luck.

#8 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

it is good its taking tme to get used to, namely the way things are installed, but i am learning. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users