Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happened to my new build

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 golfman8

golfman8

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Don't know if you remember me but, I just built my first computer a couple of weeks ago. I installed a 500GB HD and it was suggested that I do a 50GB partition to install Windows 7. I did that but now I am out of storage space. My Computer only shows 49.9 GB of local drive. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?
Thanks,
Golfman8 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Can you see the other partition?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

It looks like you didn't make a second partition for your data.

If you go to device manager do you see a second partition?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 golfman8

golfman8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

No, in fact everything is blank under all tabs for that drive.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Since this is a fresh installation, it might be best to reformat the hdd and do another installation.

Here is a link to a tutorial which may help you.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354687,00.asp

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management

Set your partition(s) up and format. You will have to change the letter(s) of your CD/DVD drives if you want to do a straight C and D hard disk partition.

As to the advice given about 50gig for your primary partition, that's too small (for WIn7). Just my Windows folder is 15gig. I like at least 150 gig for my main partition , the rest for storage (D), and maybe a restore partition (E) depending on the setup. The size of primary partition depends on what you do with your system. Keep more than 4 or 5 games on it, and thats another 30 gigs gone. By the time you use your system for any amount of time that 50 gigs is looking real small. Figure also you need to have some free space to defrag. It's just less hassle to make that "C" partition big enough so you never have to worry about space.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 September 2010 - 10:30 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 golfman8

golfman8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:29 AM

Well, I guess I do have the advantage of having everything working right now and have an external HD to back things up. I do have a lot on here in just 10 days. For the record I also bought an identical 500GB HD that I was going to connect in a Raid 1 configuration. I guess now is the time to do that also. (just got it from Newegg 3 days ago. I am tired of crashes and not having what I really need backed up.
Thanks for all your help.
Golfman8

#8 golfman8

golfman8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

dpunisher,
Here is what I get when I open the disk management file.
Disk O
Basic 465.76 GB
System Reserved
100 MB NTFS
Healthy (System Active, Primary Partition)
(C:)
49.90 GB NTFS
Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
415.76 GB
Unallocated.

Any Suggestions?
About the only game I play is Microsoft Flight Simulator FX.
Thanks in advance!!!

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

The "unallocated" space is just that. Partition it and format it, assign it drive letters and you are ready to go. You have 415gigs ready to use.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-disk-partition

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users