Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avast vs macafee,norton

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 belteck

belteck

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Looking for a newer alternative to recommend to people. Ive been reading many good things about avast. As far as using computer resources is avast as power hungry as macafee or norton??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

Avast uses FAR less resources than McAfee and Norton, plus it has higher detection rates, and is free!

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

I vote avast! I use it and have no problems. As said it is free! :thumbsup: link to avast: http://avast.com/

Edited by computerxpds, 02 September 2010 - 02:40 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

Avast is a really good program. Uses a LOT less resources than either Norton or McAfee.
They both tend to slow a system down dramatically
When uninstalling either Norton or McAfee always run their removal tool
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

I've been back and forth with McAfee and avast! and avast seemed faster but for me it had issues with removal- it never really seemed to remove anything, but it detected a TON of stuff I wouldn't have found otherwise.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

I've been back and forth with McAfee and avast! and avast seemed faster but for me it had issues with removal- it never really seemed to remove anything, but it detected a TON of stuff I wouldn't have found otherwise.

That seems backwards from what I've observed. McAfee usually has poor detection/removal levels.
But that being said, there are some viruses out there that other programs are better at removing than others.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

Yeah I use avast as I said but I do bi weekly scans with Malwarebytes and super anti spyware.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 belteck

belteck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

Well that convinces me lol. Thanks guys ill be using Avast for now.

#9 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

Happy to help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users