Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem, Router, Gaming issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MsKelly

MsKelly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Equipment: Motorola 2210-02-1022 modem; NetGear Wireless-N 300 Router (WNR2000v2); Windows HP PC with Windows XP operating system; Playstation 3; AT&T DSL service (highest speed available)

Current set up: DSL line to modem, ethernet from modem to router, ethernet from router to PC; wireless connections for PS2, Wii, and Laptop.

Problem: Son's PS3 online game (MAG) worked great from May until about 2 weeks ago. Now is lagging, some items become invisible (but you still can't shoot through an invisible building), after about 20 minutes it freezes completely and PS3 needs hard boot. Other MAG players not having this problem. PC and Laptop internet work fine while this is going on.

Sony says NAT type in router needs to be type 2 not type 3; won't go any further in problem solving until we can make the NAT type 2

What we've tried: (the short version)
in router -
changed WPA2 security to WEP open; changed NAT setting from 'secure' to 'open' (no option for 1,2, or 3); customized port forwarding. Still having problems and NetGear says there are NAT settings for the modem; set default DMZ server from 192.168.2.0 to 192.168.2.120 per someone else who's cured this problem on his system; disabling SIP ALG

AT&T and modem: AT&T says there are no NAT settings for the modem, had me change 'Let LAN share Internet address' from 'No, private IP address' to 'Yes, public IP address' (which made me unable to get online at all); AT&T sends me an article that recommends bridging, (changing the PPP location) which, again results in me not being able to access the internet at all. AT&T can't offer further help unless we pay over $100 for third-party equipment tech service (meaning my PC and my router).

Everything that has worked for someone else is not working for us.

Don't know how to 'attach' tech reports from the modem and router config sites, but will do so upon request if given instructions.
Note: on modem tech report '
Test DNS Well Known Host Query' shows 'Fail' Don't know what most of this means anyway.

Frustrated beyond belief since the whole reason son paid for this internet access was to play MAG and other games online.

I thank my God every time I remember you - Philippians 1:3
MsKelly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

It sounds like you are having packet loss issues somewhere along the line. Relatively low levels of loss have little effect on most Web and Email applications, but play havoc with real-time games. If it's possible, even temporarily, try connecting the PS3 directly to the router with an Ethernet cable and try out the game. This will tell us if we are working with a local wireless LAN issue (like a neighbor brought up an interfering wireless network) or a broader router or network problem. Post back with results (or lack thereof).

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Do what Orecomm suggested but you could also do a ping test from http://pingtest.net to see what your packet loss is and what your ping is so we can see if you have high packet loss. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 MsKelly

MsKelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

Please note that I don't know what half this stuff means. I'm learning as I go along. According to Motorola, the setting to change my modem to 'bridging' is to change it from 'Private IP address' to 'Public IP address'

PS3 connected directly to router by ethernet cable - have internet signal, still NAT type 3, still have game problems
PS3 connected directly to modem by ethernet cable - PS3 doesn't show internet connection, cites DNS error

Ping test results: (with modem connected to router by ethernet, and router connected to main PC by ethernet)
Bixby, OK less than 50 miles
0% packet loss
Ping: 26 ms
Jitter 1 ms
Line Quality: A (MOS: 4.39)
ISP: SBC Internet Services, 2.7 of 5 stars
Kansas City, MO ~ 200 miles
0% packet loss
Ping: 32 ms
Jitter: 3 ms
Line quality: A (MOS 4.39)
ISP: SBC Internet Services, 2/7 of 5 stars

Ping Test Results - Laptop on wireless connection to router, router on ethernet to modem
Bixby, OK less than 50 miles
1% packet loss
Ping: 26 ms
Jitter 2 ms
Line Quality: B (MOS: 4.33)
ISP: SBC Internet Services, 2.7 of 5 stars
Kansas City, MO ~ 200 miles
0% packet loss
Ping: 31 ms
Jitter: 2 ms
Line quality: A (MOS 4.39)
ISP: SBC Internet Services, 2/7 of 5 stars

For some reason, I now can't access the internet onthe PS3 through the router at all (citing DNS error), even to show a NAT type 3, so I don't have Ping results from that.

Here are some settings from my router's config page

LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address 192.168.2.1
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
RIP Direction Both
RIP Version Disabled

[checked] Use router as DHCP server
Starting IP address 192.168.2.2
Ending IP address 192.168.2.254

No Listings under Table Label "Address Reservation"

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
(checked) Get automatically from ISP
(not chkd) Use these DNS servers
Primary DNS 192.168.1.254 (Note: I notice this IP address has a 1 instead of a 2 in the third position like all the other IP addresses listed in the config, but since the box to use this is not checked I didn't think it would make difference)
Secondary DNS nothing listed

Dynamic DNS not checked

WAN
[not chkd] Disabled SPI Firewall
[checked] Default DMZ server 192.168.2.120
[not chked] Respond to Ping on Internet Port
MTU size (byes) 1500
NAT Filter (not chked) Secured (checked) Open

[checked] Disable SIP ALG

I am also still communicating with AT7T, NetGear, and Motorola concerning this. I can't believe this is that hard to accomplish!! :thumbsup:

Edited by MsKelly, 03 September 2010 - 12:07 PM.

I thank my God every time I remember you - Philippians 1:3
MsKelly

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

Things look pretty normal on the router config. Check and write down the settings your PS3 is getting on Automatic. Then try setting your PS3 config like this:

IP Address 192.168.2.120 (from the "Default DMZ Server" entry in the router).
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.2.1
DNS - if the address you got on Auto does NOT start with 192.168 then use that address, otherwise 192.168.2.1

See if that works.
If you still get a DNS complaint set your PS3 DNS to 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS' server) and see what happens.

Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users