Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

undervolting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

I have windows 7 ultimate x64 and am running rmclock but I want to run it at starup. The problem is that when the computer starts up it asks me do oyu trust this unknown publisher? and I click yes but that dialog takes a while and makes startup really slow. As an alternative I don't run rmclock at startup and instead start it once I am fully up and running.

My question is does anyone know of a program I can undervolt with that will run silently in the background without the unknown publisher pop up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

U could turn the alerts off but I would highly not recommend that

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

I thought about it and I have bailed on undervolting, its too tedious and too much hassle for not that much gain. I got about 20 minutes more battery going down 0.155v but it wasn't cooler and it's too much hassle. If anyone knows how to do it an easier way than with rmclock let me know.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Why are you trying to run and "undervolting" application? Are you having any hardware issues that would merit such actions?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

battery doesn't last long enough and I read on another site that this could help.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

You can buy a new battery and also if you are at home or whatever take the battery out and use the charger, you saving your battery life.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I thought about it and I have bailed on undervolting, its too tedious and too much hassle for not that much gain. I got about 20 minutes more battery going down 0.155v but it wasn't cooler and it's too much hassle. If anyone knows how to do it an easier way than with rmclock let me know.

just my opinion ,20 min more is only relevant if you were only getting about 30 or 40 minutes to begin with
just want to add that i have never heard of undervolting in my 13 yrs of computing till now,not even sure what it would affect the most ,video performance i guess

Edited by caperjac, 18 September 2010 - 06:27 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

This is my second battery in the 4 years I have had this computer but it's third party and I guess what I saved in $$$ I lost in battery time. Depending on what I am doing it lasts between 1 hour and 1hour 45 minutes. Like I said undervolting only yielded 20 minutes more and the temperature only went down a degree or two. I think what I will do is just leave rmclock off and have my normal voltage while plugged in and start rmclock when I unplug so I have the extra 20 minutes then.

I didn't seem to notice any adverse effects on video or anything else. I am not trying to turn the voltage down so low that things aren't getting power, just trying to adjust it so I am only using what I need. AMD and Intel use a standard voltage on all the chips to save money in r&d and the purposely set it higher than most need.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

sorry to double post but the edit button isn't there.

Here is the data from running the battery down today with undervolting .155v and without:

undervolted
battery full: 10:08am
27% (30min): 11:32am

stock
battery full: 3:27pm
26% (26min): 4:32pm

So it seems worth it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users