Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro boot issues on september 2, 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chrisd0123

chrisd0123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

I have a network of about 50 machines all running xp pro. 3 of the machines today decided to have booting issues. We are all on a domain. The first error message was:

Windows cannot load the users profile but has logged you in with the default profile...

then a message:

This copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate windows now?

and lastly:

A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. error code 0x8000.

All our machines have been running great for awhile. These three users don't report of anything they installed knowingly. I was able to boot in safe mode then do a system restore to an earlier date and the machines then booted up fine. Any ideas?
Did microsoft push down some sort of update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

The last critical updates I loaded from Microsoft...loaded fine and were done yesterday, via Windows Update and Microsoft Update websites. I don't do autoupdates.

<<Did microsoft push down some sort of update?>>

Not sure what that means...installation of all updates (critical and optional) is always at the command of the user.

<<Windows cannot load the users profile but has logged you in with the default profile...>>

Typically occurs when user profile is damaged and needs to be replaced.

<<This copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate windows now?>>

Typically, I've seen this one with OEM machines (HP, eMachines, etc.) where the OEM setup has gone awry. OEM websites may provide more info on this error message.

<<A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. error code 0x8000.>>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914232

Louis

#3 chrisd0123

chrisd0123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hmmm, I don't know.

Another machine did it which makes four of about 50 machines. I thought it may have had something to do with licenses but when I looked we have 55 user cals (looking in server 2003) and only about 50 machines total (of which about 45 are on). maybe it is a server issue with the users being authenticated or something? Or perhaps, it was an automatic update that got pushed down-only I checked in add/remove and nothing has yesterdays or todays dates from microsoft for updates).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users