Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hi.

I had to send my Sony laptop into repair as the left-click button was not working correctly. Today, I received an update from Sony saying that they have replaced the motherboard.

I have two questions:

1) What is a motherboard? (Dumb question, sorry)

2) Will all my existing data and files be gone once I receive my laptop back?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

First question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard.

Second question: Deleted, was thinking "hard drive", not motherboard.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2010 - 11:40 AM.
Clarity correction.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

The only danger to your data would be introducing the hard drive to the new motherboard. Moving a hard drive with a Windows operating system to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Hopefully the techs doing your repair will take this into consideration as there are some things they can do to minimize the possibility of damaging the operating system.

Let us know how this works out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Generally laptops get the same board (chipset/video etc) and there is no need to format a hard drive and lose data. Now, in the real world, there is no telling what will happen with your data, or whether you will even get your original hard drive back for that matter. I have sent numerous lappys back to Dell and HP and it is a toss up whether the hard drive comes back formatted. I had to send one back for a bad wireless card (wouldn't let me replace it myself), and it came back formatted. Sent lots off for motherboard replacements due to the NVidia problem, and I was glad I pulled the hard drives and backed up all of the customer's data.

Anytime you send your system for in for repair, prepare to lose all your data. Backup, backup, backup.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

If you seem to run into any issues, you can correct those by installing your Windows OS over the OS, if done correctly, this will not delete the original OS set up, but instead will correct any issues, by re-detecting hardware.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

I just thought i would give you a Happy BC Smile MrBruce, per your signature of course :flowers:

:thumbsup:
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

I just thought i would give you a Happy BC Smile MrBruce, per your signature of course :trumpet:

:flowers:

Thanks, same back to you and to FunkyChicka as well! :thumbsup:

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

If you seem to run into any issues, you can correct those by installing your Windows OS over the OS, if done correctly, this will not delete the original OS set up, but instead will correct any issues, by re-detecting hardware.

Bruce.

Unless it is a repair installation there will be a loss of data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

I got my laptop back, with the new motherboard, and all my data was still there, thankfully.

However, I have noticed that my laptop has been freezing everyday since I got it back (4 days). The only way to get my laptop working again is the press and hold the on/off button until it goes off, and then press it again to turn it back on.

Might the new motherboard be to blame for this, as I have not had this issue with this laptop before.

:thumbsup:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

You paid to have this repaired, take it back and have them address this problem as there has to be a warranty of at least thirty feet or thirty days. :thumbsup:

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

problem with right click ,fixed by changing the motherboard .sound like overkill to me ,[they were just grasping at straws ],wonder what they will change to fix the computer lockup

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

You paid to have this repaired, take it back and have them address this problem as there has to be a warranty of at least thirty feet or thirty days. :thumbsup:

I don't wanna have to send it back to them. I can't live without my laptop for another 2 weeks :trumpet:

I'm gonna go into the electrical retail store I bought it from tomorrow and get their advice. I would really like to avoid sending it back again, though.

When you talk about warranty of 30 days, is that from the time they sent it back to me?

problem with right click ,fixed by changing the motherboard .sound like overkill to me ,[they were just grasping at straws ],wonder what they will change to fix the computer lockup

You have me worried now :flowers:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

When you talk about warranty of 30 days, is that from the time they sent it back to me?

I apologize, I was being facetious. Actually, the quote is "thirty seconds or thirty feet". :thumbsup: It always seem that the problem occurs immediately after the warranty expires.

I wasn't aware that you had to send this computer off to be repaired, but the point is that you do have a warranty after this repair. I know that it is very inconvenient, but this may be the best solution. What we can do is have you stay in touch with us and let us know exactly what these people are suggesting. If what they suggest seems out of line, we will advise you accordingly.

The problem here is that if we help you make any changes, the company that holds the warranty can suggest that you have voided their warranty. Frank Zappa once stated that living today's modern society is like having bees in your head. Amen!

#14 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I went to the electrical retail store that I bought the laptop from, and they just said to contact Sony. So, looks like I might have to send it back again. I'll contact Sony on Monday and let you know what they say.

Thank you.

#15 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

If Sony does ask you to send your laptop back, for your own peace of mind, do a backup of all your data beforehand. That way if they decide to replace the drive or reinstall the OS you won't lose your data. You should ALWAYS backup your data periodically and definitely before you let anyone work on your system.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users