Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frozen computer during Malwarebytes scan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sausundbraus

sausundbraus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

Man. I followed the steps at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-antivirus-soft to remove "Antivirus soft" without a hitch. Malwarebytes seemed to be doing fine for at least an hour or so. At some point, however, the screen went dark and my computer (a Dell Studio 14z) was unresponsive. I forced restarted it, but I am now greeted with a repeating seven beeps and a blank screen. I'm running Windows 7. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be deeply appreciated.

Edited by sausundbraus, 02 September 2010 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

Can you go into Safe mode..? (Pressing F8 during reboot, or look at this page how to do it)

#3 sausundbraus

sausundbraus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Driesiooo, thanks for the reply. In following the steps detailed in the above link, I had placed my computer in "Safe Mode with Networking". At this point, however, F8 and every other button is completely unresponsive.

#4 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Is that a wireless (so no cable connect to the computer) keyboard?
If it is, it's probably it can't find the driver.

Edited by Driesiooo, 02 September 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#5 sausundbraus

sausundbraus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

Nope. It's not a wireless keyboard.

#6 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Do you have the Windows 7 (Recovery) CD? The chance you have it is almost zÚro, because many manufacturers don't give them.
Or did you make a Windows 7 Recovery CD at yourself?

If not:

1 ) With the Hiren's Boot CD there is posibility to get back to your files to backup them, to destroy the malware files with tools. We can even use it for systemrestore.
* Hirens Boot CD starts from a CD, and looks like XP version.

You need a computer by a friend or another computer of yours and a blank CD.

- You can download the Hiren's boot CD on http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html

To burn the Hiren's BootCD you can use the software below.

Download burncdcc.zip (68.7 KB).
  • Extract the ISO image file (named like Hiren's.BootCD.xx.x.iso) file from the zip archive (named like Hirens.BootCD.xx.x.zip ) you have downloaded.
  • Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD writer.
  • Open BurnCDCC, Click BrowseŁand then select the ISO file you have extracted from the zip archive.
  • Click Start to start burning.
  • Put your Hiren's BootCD in the infected/damaged computer when rebooting.
  • The computer will ask for booting from CD. Do this so the CD would load.
  • Note: If the CD doesn't start your boot order isn't set correctly. Reply if this occur.
2) Backup your important files in the mini XP version of Hirens Boot CD.

Edited by Driesiooo, 02 September 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#7 sausundbraus

sausundbraus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for this advice, driesioo. I'll try it when I get home from work. Do you have any sense of what my computer will be like if the Hiren's Boot is succesful (i.e. will it be lobotomized or otherwise vegetabled?)

#8 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

I think we can restore the damage with system restore but there is possiblity your malware comes back because you had an infection before.
But there are powerful tools present on Hiren's Boot CD, those tools we can use. But make a backup from your files first before we do anything to your system

Do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

Edited by Driesiooo, 02 September 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#9 sausundbraus

sausundbraus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

Driesieooo,

So, I burned Hiren's boot cd, but it wouldn't boot in the computer. It is still the same completely black screen with the repeating 7 beeps. Let me reemphasize how there is absolutely nothing else going on besides those seven beeps.

Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong when I try to load the disc? I'm inclined to think that my computer is too fargone for disc-based solutions (what might compound the problem is that the Dell studio 14z does not have an internal optical drive).

Thanks again for all of your help!

#10 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:13 AM

The beeps indicate the following, there is possibility something has gone wrong with drivers or hardware: http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm
I think it's because you hear 7 beeps: Virtual mode exception error. (http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/biosbeepcodes.asp)

That de CD won't boot can be an option sequence in the BIOS, we can set it up.
Read the following http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom , try to set it up like there.
If you have set it up into your bios. Try to reboot and try to boot the Hiren's boot CD.

Edited by Driesiooo, 03 September 2010 - 03:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users