Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tim Berners-Lee Inventor Of The World Wide Web

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:06 PM

November 4 was the fifteenth birthday of the World Wide Web. Which was in fact invented by Tim Berners-Lee. So in order to mark the occasion, I offer you the story behind this great man, and a brief history timeline of the Internet. From where it all began in 1945 the veritable stoneage of computing. Through the 90's, which even today whilst looking back, seems quite ancient in comparision to how far we have come. So follow me if you will, and take an informative and captivating walk through history. ~ Scarlett
In 1989,Tim Berners-Lee proposed a global hypertext project, to be known as the World Wide Web. Based on the earlier "Enquire" work, it was designed to allow people to work together by combining their knowledge in a web of hypertext documents. He wrote the first World Wide Web server, "httpd", and the first client, "WorldWideWeb" a what-you-see-is-what-you-get hypertext browser/editor which ran in the NeXTStep environment. This work was started in October 1990, and the program "WorldWideWeb" first made available within CERN in December, and on the Internet at large in the summer of 1991.

Tim Berners-Lee Biography
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

I could have sworn the code for the WWW was developed by a Scandanavian.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:58 PM

And that is not all he has accomplished.

THE SEMANTIC WEB:

AN INTERVIEW WITH TIM BERNERS-LEE
Andrew Updegrove

Introduction: If you are a reader of this journal, it is likely that you are aware that one of the main goals of the W3C is nearing fruition: the deployment of the core set of standards needed to enable the next level of the Web itself. These standards are the extension of the original vision of the inventor of the Web, Tim Berners-Lee.

After years of development, these specifications will enable users to search not only for documents that contain data, but also for the desired data itself, through “semantic” identification and location techniques. The result of implementing these standards will be the creation of a next-generation “Semantic Web.” This new Web will be capable of supporting software agents that are able not only to locate data, but also to “understand” it in ways that will allow computers to perform meaningful tasks with data automatically and on the fly that today must be done manually and episodically by computer users. Or, as summarized in a Scientific American article written by Berners-Lee, Jim Hendler and Ora Lassila in 2001, “ The Semantic Web is an extension of the current Web in which information is given well-defined meaning, better enabling computers and people to work in cooperation.

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/bulletins/semanticweb.php

Edited by Scarlett, 06 November 2005 - 02:05 PM.

Posted Image

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

Nonsense - We all know Al Gore invented the WWW :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, I do recall seeing the name of Berners-Lee on several occasions while reading about AI and Expert Systems. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

On an unrelated note, Does anyone know if there is an online version of "Whimsical Conversations"?

John - You would be my first guess as a possible source.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:29 PM

This is interesting. I thought it was the USA government. "ARPANET," but I guess the "modern" internet is more based on this.

Also if anyone is interested the earliest "network" was back in the 1930's. It was used for the power grids. (not sure of the exact details.) But in my Hardware class we started networks and our teacher briefly mentioned it.

#6 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

Sorry Yano, I was just being silly.

Arpanet was a network for communication. Berners-Lee invented a better way to communicate over that already existing network. The WWW is just the software that runs on the internet.

And, by the way, the "Information Superhighway" did become public in 1993 when Gore signed a law making it public.

Edited by BanditFlyer, 08 November 2005 - 08:25 PM.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:11 PM

And, by the way, the "Information Superhighway" did become public in 1993 when Gore signed a law making it public.

So Al Gore did invent the Internet. :thumbsup: Well he help make it what it is today.

Edited by yano, 23 November 2005 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users