Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rediculously slowed down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anemicshoe

Anemicshoe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:48 PM

I am running windows XP on routed wireless internet, my antivirus is AVG free.

Today I booted up my computer normally and went into my user on windows. Everything seemed normal untill I noticed it was taking an inordinate amount of time
for the computer to set up (programs automatically opening, internet connecting etc). I waited anyway and when everything was loaded I started trying to open
the web browser. This took ages to finally pop up and I knew something was definitly wrong.
I ctrl-alt-deleted and checked for processes which might be slowing me down, the SPU usage was hovering at around 80% but I didn't see anything out of the normal using it just the programs I was trying to open/use. Then again I don't know what most of the processes are.
My husband told me to run a start up disk/drive test to repair any issues and I did that with no problem, there was nothing out of the ordinary. I booted up again but still
slow as molasses.

I ran malwarebytes and did a 'quick scan' which usually takes 19minutes. It took 43minutes! No problems found
I ran a FULL scan on malwarebytes and it took 4hours!!! Even updating took longer than normal. No problems found
I ran AVG computer scanner which took forever. No problems found.
I ran rkill nothing out of the ordinary was closed.
I ran the DDSrootkit killer thing that had disposed of an annoying rootkit I had before but it found nothing.
I am still running spyware search and destroy but it is taking forever.
Restarting has not helped.

Do I have malware or is this something messing up with the processor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Reasons why your computer is so slow:
  • Old computer (older then 4 years).
  • Processor issue
  • Malware infection.
  • Too mutch security.
  • More then one AV (AntiVirus shield program)
  • More then one AS (AntiSpwyare shield program)
  • To mutch temp and internet saved files.
We can check the above last ballon;

1) Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean
2) Download ATF cleaner
  • Boot into Safe mode (F8 during starting up)
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
* If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Does this bring any improvement..?

Edited by Driesiooo, 02 September 2010 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users