Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can i repair corrupt system files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tradingfoursj

tradingfoursj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

hello there,

i run vista home premium in an hp dvd4 laptop. blackouts or power outs have been common where i live and my os was damaged because i was working without battery or no break protection on at least 3 times the power went off. i now have a replacement battery and a no break, but too late.

my computer has been slow and once even booted to system restore and asked to go to a restore point which didn't completely solve the issues. i have run system file checker multiple times and it says there are damaged files it could not fix. i also have run scan disk twice, defragmented the unit with auslogics, and run ccleaner successfully three times, but in the end sfc says there are still corrupt and unrepaired system files. i downloaded and tried to use vista repair from the neosmart iso and it wouldn't solve the issues because after booting from the cd it wouldn't make changes. i also tried to use the factory partition but to no avail as well. i have searched through the forum but found no similar cases so far.

a friend of mine recommended using combofix, but i have done research and don't think it's appropriate, because the damage was caused by the unexpected shutdowns, not malware as far as i can tell. i have nod32, sypbot and sypware blaster running and try to be cautious always. right now i'm looking for software or other resources that would fix the damaged system files without the need for a reinstall of the os, or a complete backup of the hard drive. if none such software exists, i would like to be able to back up (how many gb's would be needed to back up a 99% full 219 gb hard disk?) the entire hard disk because i have programs for the which i don't want to lose the info and history, and only then resort to a reinstall of vista (i think i don't have the installation discs) or to using hp's restore to factory condition.

your guidance will be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot,

j

Edited by tradingfoursj, 01 September 2010 - 11:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hitman23

hitman23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

I have the same problem you do. Constant power failures shredded my files. I have tried everything you have and got the same results. The only thing I can say is to backup your data to an external drive and reinstall the OS. I have to reinstall my laptop this week and this will be the sixth time. If you don't want to buy an external hard drive you can look into sites that provide online backup. I use mcafee but i am sure there is a cheaper site out there where you get more for your money.

#3 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

If "i also have run scan disk twice" is in reference to the below, make sure you ran it with the /r flag.
---
Run a chkdsk.

Start
Run
type "cmd"
type "chkdsk /r

Restart computer on prompt.
Let it run it's course on reboot, see how your computer is then.
---
Backup:
If your have the original OS or some sort of install media, I would not back up the whole disk.

Most program settings are stored in folders other than C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86).

Identify the program settings you would like to retain.
Note the software manufacturers as well, as the folders are often named by this.

Folders to look for settings:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]
---Some settings are saved here, like VirtualBox. Look in folders you did not create and are not OS created (Contacts, Desktop, etc.).

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents
---Look for more folders you did not create here. Most save games are stored here.

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData
---I'd just back this entire folder up if you want to save program settings. Most program data is stored here. ***This folder is hidden, type the address directly or enable view of hidden and system folders.

C:\ProgramData
---There will be some settings here.

Check all the folders for the program settings. If you have a program that does not store it's settings in the above folders, chances are they are stored in a *.ini file in the program folder.
C:\Program Files
and/or
C:\Program Files (x86)
---

If you are dead set on backing up your entire hdd,
http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

I have never used the program, but it looks easy enough to use.
Don't trust the creator's link?
CNET: http://download.cnet.com/DriveImage-XML/30...4-10443230.html

I suspect the program will give some easy way to back up the image file.

Use mediafire.com for free file backups, though the limit is 100MB/file.
Most sites do not offer unlimited file storage without giving them $$. Mediafire.com does, but with the file size limit.

Offline options:
1 External HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;PageSize=20
Lowest price is $50 for 320GB, but I'd advise you research for a better deal. I wouldn't pay more than 10 cents/GB, or $1/10GB.

BD/DVD/CD Backup: These quantities are on average, but shouldn't be off by +/- 1 disk. Price estimates will vary much more, but this is a ballpark price. Most prices are $/disk from packs, which is more economical but not less expensive than buying single disks.

Check to see what media types your burner can use. The disks are one sided disks only.
BlueRay DL: 50GB/disk, 5 disks needed, ~$50
BlueRay: 25GB/disk, 9 disks needed, ~$13.50
DVD DL: 8.5GB/disk, 26 disks needed, ~$15.60
DVD: 4.7GB/disk, 47 disks needed, ~$18.80
CD: 700MB/disk, 321 disks needed, ~$64.20

Not a very fun way to go :huh:
Just buy a backup drive. It will be more expensive, but less time consuming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users