Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turbo C for Windows 7 without DOSbox or sort

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 badtripper

badtripper

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first asking thread, so I might post this thread in the wrong sub-forum, but I'll throw it anyway.
I bought myself a new notebook, and the OS it carries is windows7 home premium 64-bit
the problem is, I couldn't find myself Turbo C compiler for the OS I'm into now
well ya, actually I've Google about this and found that Turbo C version 3.0 could run inside DOSBox-0.74 , but it's slightly uncomfortable for me
is there any version of Turbo C that could run on Windows 7 home premium 64-bit, not depending to another application like DOSbox or sort?
or if there's no Turbo C available, is there any C compiler for Windows 7?
I hope that you can understand my points, since English is not my prime language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Turbo C is an ancient product which has not been maintained for several years. It cannot produce programs which will run on 64 bit windows; nor will the program itself run on 64 bit Windows; it is a 16 bit application. NTVDM (the subsystem which allows backward compatibility in Windows NT to run 16 bit apps) is completely removed in 64 bit versions of Windows. Microsoft assumes that if you are running on the latest and greatest hardware platforms that you won't be running software for which support was officially ended 15 years ago (with the release of Windows 95).

There's absolutely no reason to use Turbo C nowadays. Why not use MinGW or Microsoft Visual Studio instead? Both are free and are excellent C and C++ compilers.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 01 September 2010 - 11:17 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 badtripper

badtripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

any other answer posted after this would be much appreciated, but I have to say that my needs on C compiler has fulfilled by this post.
thank you very much Billy O'Neal, you're great. :thumbsup:

Edited by groovicus, 02 September 2010 - 08:52 AM.
Removed unecessary quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users