Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing to boot properly and random lock ups

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Yemeth

Yemeth

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

When my problem first started my computer would only work in safe mode if I tried to run regularly it would just boot to a black screen. After a few days it would start ocassionaly working again.

Now it will sometimes fail to even boot up at all, but when it does work my computer will randomly lock up at any time including during post/bios.

I know it is probably a hard drive issue but I want to be certain I'm not replacing something I don't need to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

If you suspect a hard drive issue...why not run the appropriate diagnostic on the drive?

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

If the diagnostic offers both a long and a short test...run the long test.

Louis

#3 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Because my computer will lock up during the test.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

The test only involves your hard drive...your monitor...and your optical drive.

The files being run are on the CD...there is minimal involvement of your system.

If the test cannot complete, I'd say that such is a sign of a hard drive problem.

Who is the manufacturer of the drive, which diagnostic are you attempting to run?

Louis

#5 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

I haven't actually run any diagnostics because my computer wont run long enough for it to be worth trying.

Considering that my computer wont boot up at all and randomly locks up during post couldn't this be a much more serious hardware problem?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

You are the person supplying the facts/premises...if you look at your first post, you will see that my response is solely in line with what you stated.

Of course it could be something more serious...but you need to start somewhere and every component can't be on the list of suspects...or you'll never get anywhere.

Error messages...from the time period when it did boot?

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Louis

#7 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

The only error message I ever recieved was this "Warning! now system is in safe mode Please re-setting cpu frequency in the cmos setup" but I have recieved this message on and off for a few months before this problem.

my computer is custom built I could provide full hardware specs if you'd like.

and yes I still do have my xp install cd.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

Well...I guess there's no point in saying that I wish you had decided to post this info a lot sooner...but take a look at http://www.uncoolcentral.com/please-re-setting.htm.

I tend to try the cheap things first...have you replaced your CMOS battery? When the CMOS battery gets weak...it causes strange system errors. Yours qualifies as a strange system error, IMO.

I'm going to move this from the XP forum...to the Internal Hardware forum where others with more knowledge...can take a look and suggest.

Google Links for Error Message

Louis

#9 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have never replaced my cmos battery.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Replace the battery, and rest the time and date. The time and date can be accessed in the control panel.

Ain't no biggy. Go for it.

This site has a tutorial for changing the battery.

If you need more help, just let us know.

Edited by dc3, 02 September 2010 - 04:08 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

I tried swapping out the battery but it didn't change anything.

#12 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

bump

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Your computer appears to be locking up during the POST screen, this for one, is not in any way a driver related issue, I just wanted to make that clear.

If your computer is locking up during POST, the first things you need to concentrate on is your processor (CPU)

If for any reason your CPU is not being kept cool enough, your computer will shut down or lock up instantly.

You need to check the condition of the heat sink.

Is it clear of dust?

Is the heat sink properly seated on the processor?

Has the thermal paste become old and no longer transfers heat as it is supposed to?

Next issue to look at is a failure of the video processor, video cards can cause boot issues as well, if there is a hardware defect, the system can go through a re-boot cycle.

Third is the RAM installed, how-ever in some cases you should still be able to run a utility from a bootable disk to test your RAM for errors.

The order I have put this list in, is relevent to the possibilities, so check them in the order I have put them in.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 Yemeth

Yemeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

The heat sink does have a fair amount of dust but I don't really know how to take the fan off to get to it. The heat sink is properly seated. The thermal paste is probably old.

I tried swapping old video cards and ram neither helped.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

The heat sink does have a fair amount of dust but I don't really know how to take the fan off to get to it. The heat sink is properly seated. The thermal paste is probably old.

Can you please post your motherboard make and model number, I will connect you with some web sites that have safe procedures for doing this.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users