Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix my system recovery help please

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

My netbook (Asus T101mt) has a built in recovery partition. After I installed Ubuntu to my netbook (which in turn installed Grub) and uninstalled it and corrupted my Windows start up files (MBR I think is what its called) But that is fixed and my pc boots normally now. But I cant hit f9 to get to my recovery partition. Also note that Ive done alot of repartitioning but have not touched the recovery partition in any way. (just saying in case this could possibly be the problem) It moved places on the HDD I think. Also note that it showed up as my D: drive for a while (it was originally hidden) But I have rehidden it. Any suggestions to what I can do to get it back working again? Would reflashing my bios possibly fix it? (I ask because I would prefer not to do that. My last bios update was a disaster!) What do yall suggest? I was as specific as possible but if you need more info please ask. Thanks in advance

Edited by rolltide101, 01 September 2010 - 09:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:17 AM

Hello,

Sorry about your last experience with restoring the firmware on your computer but I think you should give it a try http://www.acer.com.sg/acer/service.do?Lan...;CRC=2031857867 and select the bios update that says fixes the boot sequence. make sure this is the correct computer for the bios if it is not select the correct model then unpack it winrar and flash.

#3 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

ok I will try it if u think I should. I will report back afterwards. (hopefully) lol

#4 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

didnt work. any other ides?

#5 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

Seriously? absolutely no-one has any ideas?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

The problem with a corrupted MBR is that it looses track of whats on the drive, in your case it is the recovery partition most likely hidden near the end of the drive.

Generally those partitions have a zipped .cab file that executes and sends the needed files into system memory, form there, it is unpacked and written to the beginning of the drive just past the MBR partiton as drive C:

Thus there is the full installation of your operating system when it is done.

The MBR is basically a road map of the hard drive and all its contents and locations are stored in the MBR.

Now that your MBR has been re-written, there is no longer a reference to the hidden partition containing the .cab file, which is most likely still located at the end of the hard drive.

What we have to do here is figure out how to get the MBR to recognize that there is a hidden partition at the end of the drive and make it accessable again.

Now as you stated earlier, you would press the F9 key. are you sure its the f9 key? some BIOSes use F12.

Let me check out some support options and see if we can get you past this issue.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 11:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thank you very much. This has been annoying me to death. Im 99.9% sure it was f9 but Ive tried every key. It took me forever just to get the MBR working properly again. Now I have everything fixed except for the recovery partition

Edited by rolltide101, 07 September 2010 - 11:09 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Please confirm if this is your laptop.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=Eee PC T101MT&SLanguage=en-us

Edit: link above appears to be seperated and broken, can you copy and paste it into your browser and confirm please.

I need to be sure before I offer any further advice.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 September 2010 - 11:55 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:56 PM

The link was bad but u have the right model number.

#10 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

Yes that is mine.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

Its the Asus Model: Eee PC T101MT

Correct?

And yes Asus makes it hard to link to their support pages, plus you have selected the OS again even if the link above works.

I had it set to windows 7 OS and it reverts back to select your OS. :huh:

Bruce.

#12 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

Yes that is it. Asus is very hard to deal with on everything lol

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

Yes that is mine.

Okay, now that we are on the same page here, give me a little bit of time to check some options out, before I post anything further.

I have some ideas, but I want to make sure we do not add insult to injury here, I just want to offer a solid solution that will give you back your access to your recovery partition.

So please hang in there. :huh:

Bruce.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

I have downloaded a copy of your Eee PC Userís Manual for English Edition (E5119)
Eee PC Userís Manual for English Edition for Win 7 OS(E5119)

Bruce.

#15 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

K, I will check in every 10 min or so. I will be up for 2 or 3 hours. Thanks for all ur doing!!! I highly appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users