Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CitrusLime

CitrusLime

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hi. I've been running this new computer I built for the past few months with no problems. The other day my computer start throwing BSODs, eventually myself and a friend traced it down to a Memory issue, however we never could tell if it was a Windows update issue as I updated the day before (I think it was, but he thinks it's the memory, were not entirely sure).

I started testing the memory with memtest x86 by testing all the ram one by one, and then testing each of the slots. 1 piece of ram in any slot will produce absolutely no errors whatsoever, however the second I put all 4 sticks of my ram in it throws errors on Test 7.

So mainly my first question is: Is my memory faulty, or does Memtest x86 just choke on anything over 4GB of ram?

On a side note I'd like to ask one other question: Is it possible to roll back a Windows Update somehow? I can't access the login screen, it just goes blue (Not a BSOD, just blue).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

hi ,what version are you using, memtest86 V 3.5 doesn't work with 4 gig but v 3.4 does
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 CitrusLime

CitrusLime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

I just tried 3.5 from the site you posted, but it halted on test #0 at 5% (Testing: 4096 - 6144)

However 3.4 is running fine.

Edit oops, did not realise that 3.4 was the one I was supposed to run.

Edit 2: Test 5 is saying that Slot 0 and 1 have alot of Errors (0 has Over 25000, and Slot 1 has over 13000, in fact there's so many, test 5 capped at 32767!) I'm confused. :S Slot 2 and 3 are fine though,

Edited by CitrusLime, 01 September 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

It sounds to me like you have yourself a bad set of RAM sticks.

You said slot 0 and slot 1 have a lot of errors, so those are your bad sticks.

However to recheck this, move the sticks from slot 0 to slot 3 and the stick in slot 1 to slot 4, take 3 and put in slot 1 and take 4 and put in slot 2.

Now try running memtest again, to see if slot 3 and slot 4 show the errors.

If you get errors on 3 and 4, you have two bad RAM sticks.

If you get errors on slots 1 and 2 again, you have a hardware problem with those slots.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users