Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory? Only one stick of ram is being read

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AndyMan315

AndyMan315

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hi, I have 2 (x2Gig) sticks of RAM and ever since I rebuilt my computer (deaded GPU and needed a new heat sink fan) my PC is only reading one of those stick. I just today swapped the 2 sticks (I have 4 slots, i used the 2 correct slots) and it booted up and read both, i restarted because I had to for something else and now it is back to reading only 1.

PS I was grounded when I did all of this, it's weird...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Is it the right type of sticks for that Mother Board?

#3 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

yes. and has always worked until recently, but like i said i was grounded...and also it still only reads one stick when swapped out so that leads me to think possibly the port is faulty?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

You may have a possible slot problem, try re-seating the RAM stick that is not being detected, if you know which one it is, sometimes the connections in the slot can be intermittent.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

I reseated a few times, i will reseat and clean out with spray real quick...then reboot and check again...nice to see some familiar names (or does that just mean I'm always having issues!!?!) and to think I'm relatively tech savvy!

#6 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

i cleaned and reseated still had issues, swapped again still had issue, kinda jammed it in there and wiggled it and problem resolved ATM...soo...hopefully good and perhaps faulty connections? I don't know but for now it's good!

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

i cleaned and reseated still had issues, swapped again still had issue, kinda jammed it in there and wiggled it and problem resolved ATM...soo...hopefully good and perhaps faulty connections? I don't know but for now it's good!

Glad to hear this, yes some motherboards do have issues with the RAM slots, as you are probably starting to figure out.

Hopefully your problem is a thing of the past, just be careful not to cause much disturbance to the motherboard, as this problem can most likely crop back up on you.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

thanks. much appreciated.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

You're welcome and thanks for making Bleepingcomputer.com your place to come to when you need help or assistance. :thumbsup:

We're always here to help.

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users