Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ghost3h

ghost3h

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

hey, i recently had a trojan horse called Sheur3.aqra that would say that some of my programs are infected and then avg or something else would quarentine it and delete it. So i now have a load of programs taht i dunno if they been deleted gone. stuff like java, and random little programs have been deleted

my question is, is tehre anyway to scan my computer and see what is deleted and auto fix it maybe? i think some windows files were deleted too

ty

ghost

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

You have an open malware thread, where some advice was given to you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1909579

If you want assistance with your system, you probably ought to follow the suggestions made by OB. IMO.

If you think that's too much trouble...then just do a clean install...which certainly will not allow you to recover any of your former files.

Louis

#3 ghost3h

ghost3h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

well i was posting this here cause i have solved the malaware problem, and am now left with a bunch of missing files which i dont know are, so was wondering if there was a way i can scan my machine to see what files are missing and repair them?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

Assuming that's true...the best thing to do would be to attempt a repair install of XP...with a valid XP install CD which contains the same version of XP and the same SP...as the system does.

Running the sfc /scannow command is the virtual equivalent of a repair install, How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html.

Of course, this won't do anything for missing program files or data files...I know of no way to search/identify such.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

If that fails, you can do a repair installation if you have the installation CD.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Edit: This should not cause the loss of any of your data.

Edited by dc3, 02 September 2010 - 04:41 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ghost3h

ghost3h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

think i;ve done taht before, so if i install a newcopy of windows but dont wipe my hard drive, i keep all my documents, wat about all of my programs installed, do they get wiped or kept?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

You will not lose any data or programs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users